Eating Over Target

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
So, if I get this right, MFP has given me a 1000 calorie deficit. So if I eat an extra 500 calories I'm still in deficit just smaller, and if I eat an extra 1000 I'm at maintenance? Will one day of that cause a major delay in my weight loss?

We're having a big meal tonight that is gonna put me over for sure but I don't want to screw myself too much.

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I am well over 200 lbs. :(
    My daily target is just under 1700.

I guess I'm getting a little paranoid because it's been going so well (14 lbs in 33 days) and I don't want to wreck all that because I was craving burgers for dinner on a day I ate a donut.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »

I guess I'm getting a little paranoid because it's been going so well (14 lbs in 33 days) and I don't want to wreck all that because I was craving burgers for dinner on a day I ate a donut.

Nah, it's important to learn how to include days like this if you want them to be a part of your life after entering maintenance. You can't get too caught up in them. Keep in mind that if you're a daily weigher, added food weight and salt intake can create a false high on the scale due to the actual weight of food digesting and water weight, respectively. Don't let it mess with your brain, it's temporary. Only look at trends when it comes to weight loss.

This !
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Who's going to mention the weight trend apps and websites?!?! :lol:
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Lifestyle changes are not easy, but, taking it one day at a time will get you there.
    I'm 8 months into a plan to lose a total of 60 pounds. the first 20 came off FAST, the next 10 took afew months, and I'm expecting it could be another 8 months or more to get the remaining 30 off.

I recalculated my goals today, with a 1/2 poind a week loss goal. That puts me at about 1400 calories a day and don't find it hard to stay on track.

good luck to you!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    My view is that special events are meant to be celebrated. These events are fairly infrequent for me so I try to be mindful of my choices but often end up logging more than 1000 calories over my daily target. (Sometimes more). Looking at the weekly stats on calories helps me emotionally grasp that one day does not undo the work I put in. It also helps me plan for how to work these events into my daily life once at maintainence. That sometimes means I have a slight gain before losing again.

If special events happened on a weekly basis or more often I’d have to employ different strategies to make sure I’m meeting my goals. (I.e. eat less on other days).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

Unless a bunch of that was water weight in the first week or so, you may even be losing too fast for your current size, so cravings might be the result, and eating a bit more might be a good thing. (14 pounds in 33 days sounds like 2.9 pounds a week, suitable if you're over 300 pounds, assuming that's your ongoing loss rate, and it's not just distorted by initial water shedding).

MFP is capable of underestimating a few people's calorie needs for a given weight loss rate, which isn't necessarily a healthy route to be on. (MFP underestimated my calorie requirements by 25-30%. It wasn't a good thing. I felt great, until I didn't . . . the weakness and fatigue kicked in, and it took several weeks to recover normal energy and strength.)

If you're set at 2 pounds a week, and losing almost 3, then you certainly have room to eat a bit more.

Be aware that anytime you eat more than usual (even if under maintenance) you may see a water weight + digestive contents jump on the scale. It isn't fat gain, so don't worry about it. It'll settle out in a few days.