Strength training and body shape

Options

I am looking to incorporate strength training into my regimen. Does it change your body shape? I have a pear shape but I do not want to change my shape, just lose body fat and get stronger.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    You'll probably maintain your general shape, but you could possibly build your shoulders and lean out your hips to have a more balanced look.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Your boyd shape changes as you lose weight. Strenth training won't change that too much as it's not easy to build sufficient muscle. Mind you, I always thought I was a pear. Turns out I'm an upside down one as my shoulder bones are a wee bit wider than my hips. Oops.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't change much with weight loss while lifting. I only noticed a difference after several bulk cycles to put on muscle.
  • hestavi
    hestavi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Your boyd shape changes as you lose weight. Strenth training won't change that too much as it's not easy to build sufficient muscle. Mind you, I always thought I was a pear. Turns out I'm an upside down one as my shoulder bones are a wee bit wider than my hips. Oops.

I see.. my shoulders are narrower than my hips, at least by 3-4 inches. I am happy with my body shape per se (as in relative proportions of waist to hip) so I never really wanted to change it, but did wanted to reduce BF to around 25%. I am currently around 35% BF.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    hestavi wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

I see.. my shoulders are narrower than my hips, at least by 3-4 inches. I am happy with my body shape per se (as in relative proportions of waist to hip) so I never really wanted to change it, but did wanted to reduce BF to around 25%. I am currently around 35% BF.

Sometimes fat will come off in certain places and muscle will be retained (or slightly built in some cases) but for the most part many people find their proportions don't change too much, however it also depends how much you have to lose.