Help! House vs town home

Options
NDR .... was told by our landlord we have 30
Days to leave they are selling our house , so the only place I found that we can afford and stay in district is a town home, we currently have a 3 bedroom 2 bath house 2 car garage 1350 square feet, going to a 3 bedroom 2 bath townhome 1 car garage 1500 square feet . My husband doesn’t want to go says town homes are giant apartments and well hate it ... someone ease my mind ? I’ve only ever lived in houses my entire life ... the town home has a small fenced in yard current place has a larger non fenced yard. 2 kids 3 dogs !

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have mostly lived in houses too. For several years, I lived in a duplex that was attached to my neighbor only by the walls of laundry room and garage. So I could hear the neighbor coming/going and knew when they were running their washing machine, if I was in my laundry room at the same time. Aside from that, it wasn't a problem at all...never heard their TV/music or even talking from the other side. I could imagine a townhome being similar especially if it's just attached to ONE other townhome and designed in a way that allows more privacy than some. On the flipside, my friend lived in a duplex where she could hear her neighbors' conversations easily, and often heard their little girl singing and yelling in the bath tub on the opposite side of her own shower. I couldn't handle all of that closeness!

Honestly speaking, with dogs AND kids I think a house might be better if at all possible. If the place is very open to leasing to pet owners and you get a general vibe that it is a kid friendly neighborhood/townhome community, then maybe it could work!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    I'd look into the laws of renters or tenants rights in your state or where ever you are and see if 30 days is enough time frame.
    I'd then ask if the why the new owners wouldn't want you there, unless they plan on living there.

I would rent the town home for now but temporarily. You can always look for a house to buy. Don't make a decision based upon such a quick turnaround.