Does anyone subscribe to Hello Fresh?

2»

Replies

• joannegustyn1971
    joannegustyn1971 Posts: 50 Member
    If you are trying to cook more at home and eat a lot of veg - another option is to stock your pantry with lots of staples (rice, pasta, timned tomotos, good quality pesto/pasta sauces etc) and fill your freezer with fish/meat portions (and veg) Add a veggie box delivery - and then you are all prepared. Always something in the house to cook ... I’ve cooked this way for years.

That sounds great in theory and my pantry is packed to the gills… It’s just the putting stuff together without a recipe and using the stuff that I’m not very good at.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    My problem with Hello Fresh and those services is that you still have to cook and clean. I’ve been using Freshly lately and really like it. Meals are cheaper than the takeout I’d most likely order instead and heat up in just a couple of minutes. I get variety, nutrition and convenience all in one!

I’m excited about the cooking part. I’m not really good at it and my friends that do it say that they’ve learned a lot. I am more of a person who buys things just to heat up but now I’m excited that I’m going to be making it from scratch.

I think this is a really good option for you and am glad your first meal went so well :)
  • joannegustyn1971
    Last night I madenw8xj1xm7s83.jpeg
    Last night I made seared Italian sausage with is really couscous and spinach!
    Who knew that I could cook such a thing? We had some cheese in our fridge so I sprinkled a little bit of extra on top. I ate half of mine for dinner and have her for lunch today. So far so good… And I’m very proud of myself.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    Waste of money. Why the heck would I pay so much for a single meal when I can easily make the same thing for SO much less on my own?
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    The meals look great - and looks like they will boost your cooking confidence/enjoyment/recipe repertoire - (and then perhaps you can try the cheaper DIY suggestions later!). Good luck
  • joannegustyn1971
    Athijade wrote: »
    Waste of money. Why the heck would I pay so much for a single meal when I can easily make the same thing for SO much less on my own?

I don’t know why YOU would but myself and several coworkers are just loving it. Not a waste of money at all, we are eating delicious restaurant quality meals and all made from fresh ingredients. Nothing being bought and rotting in the fridge. Not eating out as much. It’s a no brainer really… It’s amazing.
  • joannegustyn1971
    The meals look great - and looks like they will boost your cooking confidence/enjoyment/recipe repertoire - (and then perhaps you can try the cheaper DIY suggestions later!). Good luck

Thanks so much! I can’t believe that I am zesting lemons and limes, toasting nuts, reserving my cous cous water to add to my dish etc. Everything has been delicious!
  • joannegustyn1971
    nxcxjz7idbc5.jpeg
    8n6rtzz4dl91.jpeg
  • joannegustyn1971
    0750kab509hb.jpeg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Your pictures look great! You’re eating good! And you’re learning to cook. Looks to me like a Win! Win! Win!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    And you may also be learning how much a portion really is. Another Win!
  • joannegustyn1971
    edited May 2019
    And you may also be learning how much a portion really is. Another Win!

That’s true. My husband walked by and asked “ is that all the sweet potatoes they sent?” And I realized that it was the perfect amount and we’ve been eating way too many sweet potatoes!