Plateau help

Options
2»

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my first thought after seeing your average day of food intake... Are you sure you are eating 1700 calories a day? From what you put down as an average day, that looks like maybe 1200-1300 calories (and that is being generous). My second thought, maybe try upping the calories to about 1780-1800. I thought that 1700 would be good for me, nice round number after I figured out my TDEE-20% and it did nothing, I upped to 1770 and the only time I lost was when I went over 1800 calories.

My other thought, have you measured, maybe you are losing inches and not weight right now. For me (and I'm no expert, this is purely off of my own experience) I have found after every 15-20 pounds lost, my body will "shift" the fat around so I will plateau for a bit. It is depressing and frustrating, however, I started breaking out the tape measure and that is where I have noticed the changes are happening.

Mix up and experiment (just a little at a time), but remember any changes you make will take anywhere from 2-4 weeks before a noticable difference will happen, so have patience.

Best of luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I would suggest logging what you eat, so you know exactly how many cals you are consuming. It is hard to know if you are eating too few cals or too many cals. Your diet sounds good but without the serving sizes and exact cals it is hard to know what changes need to be made, hang in there sounds like you are doing everything right, GRRrr stupid scales.I am having the same problem
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    There seems to be such a delicate balance involved in giving your body what it needs to lose. You need exercise, and food, but not too much...or too little of either...

I wonder if you're logging anywhere? It's a bit time consuming, but if you measure and log your food every day, you might find the problem. You might be way under or overestimating your consumption. Also, where did you get your calorie goal? Do you know your BMR? Your TDEE? If you don't, finding those numbers will help a lot...

Without those numbers, you can't accurately determine how much you need to be eating to lose.

I would also add my vote to what the other person said about a piece of fruit not being nearly enough to start your day. You need protein to start your body going, and keep it going. No idea how big your lunch salad is, or how big the "smaller dinner portions" are, but that list of food looks more like 1000-1400 calories a day, not 1700.

I am logging, just not on here. I can start logging again.

I have had success before with 1680 calories a day until I hit that plateau. I've decreased and increased to no avail.

I do start with a piece of fruit and add in a some protein in mid-day snack.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my first thought after seeing your average day of food intake... Are you sure you are eating 1700 calories a day? From what you put down as an average day, that looks like maybe 1200-1300 calories (and that is being generous). My second thought, maybe try upping the calories to about 1780-1800. I thought that 1700 would be good for me, nice round number after I figured out my TDEE-20% and it did nothing, I upped to 1770 and the only time I lost was when I went over 1800 calories.

My other thought, have you measured, maybe you are losing inches and not weight right now. For me (and I'm no expert, this is purely off of my own experience) I have found after every 15-20 pounds lost, my body will "shift" the fat around so I will plateau for a bit. It is depressing and frustrating, however, I started breaking out the tape measure and that is where I have noticed the changes are happening.

Mix up and experiment (just a little at a time), but remember any changes you make will take anywhere from 2-4 weeks before a noticable difference will happen, so have patience.

Best of luck!

I am measuring and I have lost inches (re-took measurements on the 1st and I've lost inches since then)
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, then don't worry about the weight! Muscle weighs more than fat, so you're still losing fat, but gaining muscle. Which burns more calories than fat...which means you'll lose weight again.

It's hard, but try not to obsess over the scale if you're losing inches. The weight loss will come, but you have 2 problems...too much weight, and too little muscle. (Not being mean...I'd say almost everyone here has these problems, me included!!) You only need to worry about changing things when you're not losing pounds or inches...