ONE cheat day a week....

Options
Do you do it?

Saturday nights are my struggle.
It's a takeaway night. Usually a vegetarian curry, garlic naan, onion bhajis and pilau rice!

Does anyone else do the same?
Does it have an effect on your long term goals?

Replies

• michaelflynn1985
    michaelflynn1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I might I have to make it a monthly treat.
    I did log it down.
    I never do finish it but I demolish the naan!
    I did log it yesterday, by adding "Indian takeaway - 1 plate (1,500)"

Last night's treat took me 500 or so calories over my calorie goal.
  • michaelflynn1985
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I've been set a calorie goal of 1,590 to lose 2lbs a week.
    Last night I went over by 544, by having that takeaway treat, but saved my calories to the best that I could, during the day.
    As a plant-based eater, I'm never going to go over by thousands.
    My Saturday night cheat meal is always a vegetarian curry, rice, naan and onion bhaji, but might ditch the onion bhajis and bread next time.
  • michaelflynn1985
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Sounds like I might I have to make it a monthly treat.
    I did log it down.
    I never do finish it but I demolish the naan!
    I did log it yesterday, by adding "Indian takeaway - 1 plate (1,500)"

Last night's treat took me 500 or so calories over my calorie goal.

Trust me I’m south Asian and we can pack the calories into our food. 1500-2000 calories sounds about right for one sitting. The only way to go about this is to increase your activity on that day. Do an intense workout or just walk a lot and be active. But don’t eat more than this. Also onion bhajis are calorie dense. Those are deep fried in oil. I would give those a miss. Be more selective only order one of your favourite things not a 4 course meal. I know it sounds harsh but I’m speaking from cultural experience here. One trick could be to have a protein shake before the meal to reduce hunger. Or some psyllium husk in a glass to reduce overall consumption. Or even an apple before. Just something to fill you up before eating and you will end up eating waaaay less.

Thanks. I'll take that into consideration.
    I do already take nutritional protein shakes with my meals and it helps.
  • michaelflynn1985
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I've been set a calorie goal of 1,590 to lose 2lbs a week.
    Last night I went over by 544, by having that takeaway treat, but saved my calories to the best that I could, during the day.

That would barely phase your weekly weight loss. Your deficit for each week is 7000 calories. You are now around 6500.

Thanks :smile: That gives me even more motivation, knowing that.
    I've got 2st to ditch!
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I’m always against the “cheat day” (who are you cheating?)

Not because of the calories but because of the discipline.

It’s so easy for a cheat day to become a cheat week then a cheat month...

You’re only delaying the day when you finally hit your goal weight.

• liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Look at your weekly stats. (Under the Nutrition button at the bottom of your diary on the app only.) You can look at a weekly view which will tell you how many calories over or under you are for the last seven days. Budget calories for Saturday night and make it part of your plan.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    Look at your weekly stats. (Under the Nutrition button at the bottom of your diary on the app only.) You can look at a weekly view which will tell you how many calories over or under you are for the last seven days. Budget calories for Saturday night and make it part of your plan.

I second this.

Takes the whole cheat meal thinking out of the equation.

Just aim to have your weekly calories at the right level - so plan higher days and off set them by lower days.

Eg if your so called cheat day is 500 ish over your allowance, just eat around 70 calories less each other day.