Night shift workers??

Options
Hey there!
Are there any night or evening shift workers here?
I’m a chef and I don’t get home until after midnight. I know it’s not good to eat before bed, but I don’t have time at work to eat and if I do before my shift, I feel so sluggish at work.
Now when I’m home I heat up some homemade soup, I figure that’s maybe the healthiest option for that time of night?
Any suggestions for what to do?!

Replies

• jedoubleday
    jedoubleday Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    what time do you go in?
  • jedoubleday
    Options
    i worked 12 hour shifts for 7 years if you want I can share some of what i did to stay... sane and healthy.. ish
  • ajlbookey
    ajlbookey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes! Please share! And sometimes I start at 4, sometimes 6, it depends on the day!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You can eat whenever it works for your life. There's no reason to not eat at midnight, unless eating that late affects your sleep.

Hit your calorie target, however that works for you.

I also worked 12 hour shifts, on nights, for years.
  • jedoubleday
    Options
    sent you some information
  • amwestness
    amwestness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same here, 12 hour night shifts 3 days on, 4 off. The nights I work, I eat before I leave for work (around 430pm) usually a smoothie and a wrap or salad. If I get hungry I'll snack on some fresh fruit or veggies with hummus around 10, have a meal at 3am, and then I eat another meal just before going to bed around 7 or 8. I don't care what I eat before sleeping, it's always minimal prep though. If I don't eat at that time, I'll be way under my calorie goal for the day and I feel it. As long you don't stuff yourself or eat anything that you know will make you bloated or give you heartburn or the like, I would say eat whatever fills you up. Maybe it's what you are eating before work that is making you feel sluggish and not simply the act of eating? I don't know how I would have the energy to make it through a shift without food first!
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I work 12hour night shift, 3 nights a week, 7p to 7a. I count everything I eat after midnight my breakfast. I eat again when I get home in the morning, I sucessfuly still lose 1-2lbs a week even though I eat before I head to sleep.
  • ajlbookey
    ajlbookey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! Really good advice!