Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I feel like I've been hungry and sore for 2 months now, and have only lost a couple of pounds at most. I haven't lost anything off my hips and only 1 inch off my waist. :noway: I'm doing the Tracy Anderson mat method and walking, and faithfully logging everything that goes into my mouth. I usually go over my protein and sugar limits, but not the calories (1200 per day +/- depending on exercise). Is that a problem? I can't figure out what I might be doing wrong. I've never had this much trouble losing weight in my life! I feel like absolutely nothing is happening here, and it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks in advance...

Replies

• drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Just a couple thoughts:

1) Being sore can be helped by using a foam roller to move the lactic acid build-up. Also, if you're getting enough protein, that can help. You can take ibuprofen sometimes to help swelling go down because increased swelling leads to increased irritation. Just be careful not to overdo it!

2) You may want to check different stretches for problem areas with soreness. That helped me with hip flexors and shins.

3) Make sure you're getting plenty of water, too.

4) For some people, 1200 isn't enough, especially if you're working out and netting more like 800. You can try making sure that your net is at least 1400, and spread out your meals to eat smaller portions, but more frequently. That's how I roll (I eat like every 3 hours), and I get lean proteins and plenty of vegetables at every meal.

5) Are you taking rest days? Because your body definitely needs to recover every few days if you're doing some hard muscle workouts!

How tall are you?? Because 112 pounds is very small!
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    My wife is fighting the same thing.

I'm not familiar with the Tracy Anderson method, but everything else looks right. Don't worry about going over the protein limits. You may want to look into lowering your sugar intake.

How are your macro numbers (protein % / carb % / fat %)? You may need to adjust the mix of your calories to get less fat into your diet.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have 7 lbs to lose and it looks like you're around 118 pounds. Are you sure you still have weight to lose? If so, you may want to consider upping your calories slightly and/or changing your exercise routine. If you are in a plateau, sometimes those things help. Good luck!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    1) If not already, make sure you're accurately weighing and measuring all your food and not just eyeballing the portions. Just because you're logging it doesn't mean you're logging it accurately.
    2) Make sure you're eating enough. For most folks, 1200 is not enough. This is a good post with explanations and resources why eating more is better: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
    3) Don't go by just the scale. Also include pics, measurements, how you're feeling, and how you're clothes are fitting.
    4) Drink plenty of water
    5) With so little to lose, you should aim for .5/per week max.
    6) Pick up those weights. Strength training will help retain muscle while you're losing weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone. I am 5'6". I am likely very close to an ideal WEIGHT, but my body composition is not good anymore. I have more fat overall than I ever have had, just under the skin. I thought that with a sensible diet and exercise, I should be able to change that. I really liked how I looked when I was 112 last year, and running. My husband liked it too. I am fairly small boned, so that weight still falls into the 'healthy' category for me according to the BMI charts. I lost the weight before because I was put on Ritalin for ADHD (which I really need) but the weight slowly crept back on.

I am drinking lots of water and stretching with my exercise, so I'm managing the soreness pretty well. Maybe I'll change my goal to be 0.5 lb per week instead of 1, because that might be pushing me into too much of a calorie deficit? I read an article that stated that people who kept weight off generally ate about 1400 a day. I took that to mean they ate that to maintain their weight, but maybe that is what they at to lose it?
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about lifting heavy? That's the perfect exercise for changing body composition.. I have weighed less and fit into bigger sized pants before weight lifting. You'd definitely need to up your calories though to do this.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    sore muscle = up your protein.

Is it 30% of daily caloric intake? If not then consider increasing it to around that (by the way MFP sets it at 15% so you have to change that setting).
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone. I am 5'6". I am likely very close to an ideal WEIGHT, but my body composition is not good anymore. I have more fat overall than I ever have had, just under the skin. I thought that with a sensible diet and exercise, I should be able to change that. I really liked how I looked when I was 112 last year, and running. My husband liked it too. I am fairly small boned, so that weight still falls into the 'healthy' category for me according to the BMI charts. I lost the weight before because I was put on Ritalin for ADHD (which I really need) but the weight slowly crept back on.

I am drinking lots of water and stretching with my exercise, so I'm managing the soreness pretty well. Maybe I'll change my goal to be 0.5 lb per week instead of 1, because that might be pushing me into too much of a calorie deficit? I read an article that stated that people who kept weight off generally ate about 1400 a day. I took that to mean they ate that to maintain their weight, but maybe that is what they at to lose it?

Progressive heavy lifting is really what you want to get into then.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

Look at this thread for inspiration. It's filled with women who were goal weight but weren't happy with their body composition (not toned). It sounds like exactly what you're looking for.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! Wow, you guys are great! :flowerforyou:

I lifted heavy some years ago, and got quite big. However, I was later diagnosed with a HGH producing pituitary tumor, so that likely explains it. I haven't tried lifting since that time, I'll bet I would like my results much more this time around.