Options
2»

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I was looking into a smartwatch to maybe just help me out a little, and I'm getting kind of tired of the aggressive reactions of people who seem to find technology offensive and anyone who likes it stupid. I didn't ask for a lecture but boy have I heard a lot of them, here and elsewhere.

To me using a fitness tracker is comparable to navigating a trip in your vehicle using GPS - sure, you could use a paper map as you did 20 years ago and you can certainly get there with that method, but why you when you could just enter an address into a map application on your phone and get turn by turn directions, an accurate estimation of arrival time, rerouted directions to avoid traffic issues, construction warnings, speed trap warnings, etc?
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think so.
    But I usually don't eat the "calories burned" anyway so I don't even bother logging activity most of the time.
    I'm burning the calories whether or not I have a device that counts them for me. My body knows, that's all that matters to me. I dont need to know an exact number.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    @Dilvish: Before gadgets, people got fat and unhealthy. Hence the gadget market. Gadgets haven't changed that, but I'm not looking for an easy button.

Its sure nice to talk big about eat less move more, but pithy sayings like that belong in fortune cookies with the other garbage. I work a desk job. I can and will sit on my butt for 8 hours and forget to take care of myself because I'm too busy to look at a clock. I have a 45 minute commute too. I do eat less, which is fine for weight loss, but losing weight is a small fraction of what makes a body healthy.

I was looking into a smartwatch to maybe just help me out a little, and I'm getting kind of tired of the aggressive reactions of people who seem to find technology offensive and anyone who likes it stupid. I didn't ask for a lecture but boy have I heard a lot of them, here and elsewhere.

I have a desk job too and if I drive to work and then ferry the kids around I won't even get 2000 steps, and I know this because my fitbit tells me. I also know that my calories burned on those days are considerably less than other days when I might walk to work so I can adjust my meals accordingly.

I think you're right, a fitbit (or equivalent) would help you understand where you need to focus your efforts.
    Perhaps have a look on ebay for some of the older models going cheap.
  • Beanly21
    Beanly21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought a new model Fitbit Inspire HR about two months ago. I bought it so that I could have a more accurate tracker (than my phone) of my steps for the day and for exercise. I like that I can see my heart rate. I like that I have a watch now. It does motivate me to walk and exercise more often. It is slim and comfortable. You can touch the screen for the data and scroll with it. It holds the charge pretty well (for me a few days). And it's fun to have. I do not wear it overnight and don't use it for calories etc. This one was around $100 or so, but you could probably get a cheaper brand that also does heart rate and steps. I would suggest it if you really want to track steps and heart rate, but I think I could have lived without it, honestly.