How much should you eat over you BMR.

Options
I had my second Inbody scan done and it raised my BMR from 1625 to 1645. That is the amount of calories the I need to eat, sleep, breath, make hormones basically stay alive. I know this is not 100% accurate but it somewhere to start. So my question is most macro calculators put me at 1500 calories for weight loss and I was told not to go under my BMR. How many calories over one's BMR is recommended for fat loss?

STATS:
5'9"
157 lbs
BF% 16.9
TDEE 2500 (using fitbit average)

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the thing to remember is that most calculators are based on population statistics - there will always be folks who are outside the normal ranges - you may be one of them.

for example - most calculators tell me that i should eat 2000-2100 to maintain (even with my activity factored in) - but i'm quite happy maintaining on 2700cal
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? If your TDEE is 2500, eating 1500 puts you in a 1000 calorie a day deficit. That is too fast based off of your stats. I would go no faster than 1 pound a week, half a pound preferred. So 2000-2250.
  • Amwa77
    Amwa77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @MikePTY actually I want to try recomping. I have "squishy spots" but I think its loose skin and maybe recomping might be a better bet for me. Just looking for a good place to start.
  • Amwa77
    Options
    @deannalfisher Yes I'm finding the calculators are not the most helpful for me. I know I need to experiment and find what works for me, just trying to find a starting point.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Daily Post..April,29th
    Track..Yes
    Cal ..Under
    Exercise..Yes
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Amwa77 wrote: »
    @MikePTY actually I want to try recomping. I have "squishy spots" but I think its loose skin and maybe recomping might be a better bet for me. Just looking for a good place to start.

Then why not use the TDEE number your Fitbit is giving you?

BMR is both an estimate and also just the base from which to start multiplying by your activity and exercise - it's not really got any significance beyond that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Amwa77 wrote: »
    @deannalfisher Yes I'm finding the calculators are not the most helpful for me. I know I need to experiment and find what works for me, just trying to find a starting point.

Just change the weight so the calculated BMR matches your tested BMR, if even that much of a difference. But you got it, might as well.

Just TDEE Please spreadsheet - better than rough 5 level TDEE charts from 1919 study.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

Since it would take a month of data for you to actually have an idea (since women's BMR literally changes through the month), might as well not start badly under actual TDEE.
  • Amwa77
    Options
    @heybales Thanks! That spreadsheet is most helpful :)