New to this and any advice and support would be welcome

ChrisM8971
ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
Hi All

I have always been overweight but not really been too bothered about it before but after giving up smoking 18 months ago I put on 2 stone and no longer feel comfortable with myself so the time has come to remove some of the excess

My biggest problems are that I spend most of my day either in the front seat of a car or sat behind a computer so my average excercise levels are pretty low and I stay away from home in hotels several time a week and love food and the occasional few beers or wines.

I have been logging my calorie intake since Sunday and have been surprised at how much I can eat (set for a 1.5 lb per week loss) especially when you change what eat.

And I guess that leads to my third problem, I am bulking food out with lentils and grains such as Quinoa and drinking far more more water than I used to but this is making me feel bloated and larger than before (ah and my scales went kaput so can't even weigh to see if I have lost even if it doesnt feel like it)

Am I trying to change my eating habits to quickly or have other had similar issues to start with?

Replies

• Hi Chris, welcome to MFP. I love this site, friends here are so encouraging and helpful, such awesome support!
    I do not claim to be an expert at all, but if you have increased your fibre with lentils and grains this can make you feel bloated, but your body will adjust. You have also increased your intake of water, at first this made me feel huge! Stick with it, you will start to feel better, less achy, better skin and surprisingly more energy, all this from water? Yes! You have made some awesome changes to your lifestyle and are doing great.
    If you do not have a scale, measure your neck, waist, arms, legs, and you will see the changes. This is a much more accurate measurement of body change anyway. Often the scale doesn't move or temporally moves in the wrong direction as you build muscle, but you become smaller, leaner.
    Add me as a friend if you like. As you accumulate more friends, you will become even more encouraged and we all need that!
    You are doing fabulous!
  • ChrisM8971
    Thanks for that cowgirl

It do want to keep the change up because I know as well asthe extra weight, I never used to eat enough fibre and drink enough water.

All measured up now and hoping to see the change soon (being realistic I guess this will take a month or so)
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Hey i have no advice but your welcome to add me for support and motivation :)
  • ChrisM8971
    Thanks Beckie