Elliptical - Am I really burning that many calories?

Options
My wife and I just joined a gym and we've been starting off our session by doing the elliptical thingy. Well, yesterday, I was on that thing for 35 minutes plus a 5 minute cool-down and it said I burned a little over 400 calories. I've got the resistance set at 10. I'm 5'6", 185 lbs. and 35 years old. I entered that stuff into the elliptical (except for the height; it didn't ask for it) This morning, I went by myself and did it for 60 minutes plus a 5 minute cool-down for a little over 800 calories. It's lower than what MFP says but it still seems like alot. And, no, I don't have an HRM... yet.

Replies

• annicanancy
    annicanancy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost thirty pounds last summer working out on the eliptical for 30 to 45 minutes. At first it seemed like I was not making progress, only building muscle... but a couple weeks later I could tell it really helped me burn calories. I would recommend the eliptical among other equipment for weight lost.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical often and with a HRM. I've found the elliptical I was on overestimates by 25% every time. It varies though, an HRM is the best option.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I was expecting to read that the machine gave you a reading of 1000+ calories....

While I generally don't think any sort of machine readings are particularly accurate (unless they read your HRM) - I also don't think that 400 calories in a 35 minute workout seems extreme either - it's seems pretty reasonable to me. How does it compare to the calorie burn reading you get from the MFP exercise log database?
  • crlujan
    crlujan Posts: 59
    Options
    If I type in 40 minutes on the elliptical into the MFP database, it says 505 calories. I've got an HRM in my future but I don't wanna be overestimating the calorie burn. I will say that when I'm done, my shirt is drenched from shoulder to shoulder, neck to waist.
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Its a bit high IMO, PP is right that those things usually overestimate 25% (sometimes more).

I JUST walked in from the gym. I am 5'3, 195, and was on it for 35 minutes at an incline (2 hills with a valley) then 5 minutes cool down at a flat. All was done at an 11 intensity. According to my MFP I burned 299 calories so I would say that 400 is not an extreme number but especially if you plan on eating all/most of your exercise calories, I would be conservative and knock any gym machine numbers down by 25-33%

ETA: On a good day, it takes me 62 minutes to do 500 calories so yes, I think 800 in 60 minutes is a severe over estimate based on the numbers you give us, but no 2 people are alike. I was SHOCKED when I got my HRM last spring as to what machines had been saying and what the HRM says (my numbers were pretty on point with yours)
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If I type in 40 minutes on the elliptical into the MFP database, it says 505 calories. I've got an HRM in my future but I don't wanna be overestimating the calorie burn. I will say that when I'm done, my shirt is drenched from shoulder to shoulder, neck to waist.

My suggestion is that if you intend to eat back your exercise calories- then stick with the lower number.

I lost most of my weight using the elliptical too! It's my favorite piece of exercise equipment. :smile:
  • Natalie7227
    Options

If you really want to be super accurate on your calorie burn, invest in a BodyBugg! They are way more accurate than the machine and any heart rate monitor out there. People on Biggest Loser use it and you can have it on all day long to calculate your calories all day and it also calculates your steps that you take too. It's an awesome tool and worth every penny with the programming with it.
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I would agree that it is probably an overestimation. In comparison to my HRM the elliptical is usually over by about 40%.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i agree too..the eliptical does overestimate! usually it tells me every 10 min is equal to 100 calories however with my new HRM it says about 75 ever 10 min...
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 5-10, 204 pounds. I average 10 calories per minute on the elliptical.

30 minutes = ABOUT 300 calories - give or take 20

60 minutes = ABOUT 600 - same give or take.

While I'm on it I check my heart rate with the built in system every four minutes. I stay between 60-75% of my max heart rate.