THIS is what a serving of pasta looks like...

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    NCK96 wrote: »
    iovnsaz366mq.jpeg

I was so surprised I sent the pic to my husband. I measured out 2 oz. of pasta and cooked it by itself to be sure. It’s Delallo gluten free fusilli, 210 calories, 43 carbs, fyi.)

I don't even know what 'a serving' is. Is it something that the producer decided to put on the pack to make it look low calorie or a normed amount?

I did a little research:

USA: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.12

The EU doesn't have any formal way of determining portion size, it's down to manufacturer.

Thanks a lot. Oh dear, 1 serving of pasta constitutes 55gr? That's not a lot, and difficult to calculate with. I usually eat 70-80, and a lot more with certain, mostly vegetarian pasta dishes.

Interesting that bread is 50g too, that's like half a sandwich for the bread here as local bread is around 30-40g per slice
  • tgc771
    tgc771 Posts: 11 Member
    I can't have regular pasta (Gluten sensitive). I am not a fan of gluten free pasta. I have started using zucchini instead of pasta in all recipes that call for pasta. I like it so much better. The Barilla gluten free pasta tasted too much like corn. Spaghetti squash is good too. Also Rice can be subbed in, but a portion of rice isn't very satisfying either, in my opinion. But that is all this is, is MY opinion. :smile:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    What's interesting is how the same company varies serving sizes depending on the market. In the USA, a standard serving of pasta is 2 oz dry (56 grams). In western Europe, the standard serving size on the box is 85 grams - or just over 3 oz - if there's even a serving size listed. I wonder why they change up serving size depending on the market?

Often the food labels in Europe only give info per 100 grams, so you don't know what a "recommended" serving size is. However, at least that makes tracking very easy because it's all metric and if you weigh your food in grams it's easy to figure out how much you're consuming.

Here are two images of a very popular pasta brand as an example

USA:
    barilla-pasta-food-label-world-of-label-with-regard-to-barilla-with-regard-to-barilla-pasta-food-label.jpg

Europe:
    51CecOvyxfL.jpg

Also notice that in the USA they measure in milligrams of sodium, whereas in western Europe they use grams of salt. The RDA for salt in Europe is higher than in the US. A gram of salt contains about 413 mg of sodium.

For us, in Italy a serving size of pasta is 100g. Then you add your sauce, vegetables, seafood, meat, legumes, etc. I cook for 3 men everyday and almost always make pasta (I've learned a million ways--without meat, because my husband doesn't eat meat, except for fish). I prefer a half portion for myself--50g. Everyone in the family is a normal weight or thin. Pasta is a staple here, and I always chuckle at the pasta threads on MFP. They are so alarming. Pasta in the correct proportions does not make you fat. There...I finally said it.

Om nom nom! Pasta made with love! I wish I could get the right ingredients here. Actually, I might cook pasta alla gricia tomorrow, even though the quality of pecorino here is a bit sad, and I can't get ceropegia. I'll improvise with what I can get <3
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great info!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    A serving is just whatever the manufacturer decided to put on the label. I would only eat 210 calories of pasta as a side...210 calories of pasta wouldn't constitute a meal for me.