Is it possible?

Burning 930calories in an hour by walking with 105Kg approx...
iPhone screenshot MapMyWalk attached...
Any comments/suggestion/personel experience...fookyk0zne04.jpg

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    You were walking, and not jogging? That's a very fast walk. It does seem high to me, but Map My Walk probably thought you were jogging, hence the high calorie burn.

I think you are probably safe in the 500-600 range.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    8k steps/4.62 miles in 1 hour...either way that's a fast pace walk slightly slower than jogging. Would estimate that around 600kcal burn given stated weight (would be roughly around 400kcal for myself...ritualistic treadmill walker of ~20 years)
  • boyoamsterdam
    boyoamsterdam Posts: 3 Member
    I use a Polar Heart Monitor to measure calories. It also uses my phones GPS to determine speed and distance. My fast 1 mile times are around 15 minute miles which calculates out to 4 mph. Using the Polar, my average 3.3 mile walk burns around 280 calories.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Like others said, the calorie count seems high. The actual pace is great.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    I burn about that on a run at 8mph, so I’d say your app’s being more than generous in its estimations.
  • AdnanKakazai
    AdnanKakazai Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks all for the comments...

This is indeed walking and not running.

The main reason for posting is to know how the app is giving results and as said, the app is quite generous. From the above comments, it is misleading from the app considering weight loss estimates and food intake...

I presume 500-600calaories would be a fair estimate with the above pace...

Any suggestions for another app to calculate the same or any other estimate to know the amount of calorie burning by walking fast.

• AdnanKakazai
    AdnanKakazai Posts: 3 Member
    Any comments - UA?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i recommend using the equation that yirara used above to calculate calories

105kg = 231lbs.
    0.3 * 231 (weight in lbs) * 4.6 (distance. Is 4.6miles realistic?) = 318kcal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

The main reason for posting is to know how the app is giving results and as said, the app is quite generous. From the above comments, it is misleading from the app considering weight loss estimates and food intake...

Any suggestions for another app to calculate the same or any other estimate to know the amount of calorie burning by walking fast.

You could use Strava which lets you pick walking or running but I'd still use the formula not an app which estimates gross calories not net.

500 - 600 would still be a far too generous estimate. If walking is going to be a regular part of your fitness routine then you want it to be accurate not badly inflated.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

You could use Strava which lets you pick walking or running but I'd still use the formula not an app which estimates gross calories not net.

500 - 600 would still be a far too generous estimate. If walking is going to be a regular part of your fitness routine then you want it to be accurate not badly inflated.

One of the problems is that 4.6 mph doesn’t fit any energy prediction equations for walking, so you have no idea where they got their numbers.

However, at 100kg, 500-600 (gross) calories at that speed in an hour is not out of the question. At this weight, that’s 5-6 METS, which is in the ballpark for that pace.