Tips for getting better at running ?

I've been trying to run for the last year or so and can do a 5k now, I've tried doing a 10k and although I did it I was stopping and starting a lot..

When o do a 5k and try and push my time I end up having to do some walking to split it up. But the other day I did it 9.42 / mile pace without having to stop.

Am I best just trying to keep a steady pace so I'm not stopping and starting or should I be pushing my pace?

Or is there better advice out there to take! I have a TomTom watch with lots of programs on them but I was never sure what's best to do

Replies

• chrisredmayne
    chrisredmayne Posts: 28 Member
    Also... should I possibly change my macros for running to get more protein ? I'm doing the standard 50 30 20 myfitnesspal set out for me
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    I would say just carry on slowly building up your distance. No more than 10% increase in total weekly mileage per week. Have a look for a training plan for the distance you're interested in to gradually build up. I swear by Hal Higdon's Novice plans personally.
    To start with increasing endurance is far more important than speed, and you get there by slowly but surely increasing the distance your running. In fact the best thing I ever learned about running was you should be doing the majority of your runs a lot slower than you think you should. So slow in fact you could probably walk faster!
  • chrisredmayne
    I would say just carry on slowly building up your distance. No more than 10% increase in total weekly mileage per week. Have a look for a training plan for the distance you're interested in to gradually build up. I swear by Hal Higdon's Novice plans personally.
    To start with increasing endurance is far more important than speed, and you get there by slowly but surely increasing the distance your running. In fact the best thing I ever learned about running was you should be doing the majority of your runs a lot slower than you think you should. So slow in fact you could probably walk faster!

I think I sometimes get too focused on seeing how much faster other people are on Strava. The run when I went slow and steady I felt like it had a better workout after rather than when I go fast then walk for a bit
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    I started out at 18 minutes per mile, it took 2 years to get down to 7 minute mile 5k. What i learn is that your weight and body strength will directly affect your running time. I lost about 100 pounds over the firsr year and a half and then the last 6 months and got alot stronger by strength raining so i got alot faster, All i ran during that timespan is just 5ks. I winged a half marathon jog on a whim and easily finished despite no half marathon training. Thats how beneficial strength training is.
  • tirowow12385
    edited April 2019
    Eat lots of protein as you will strength train, and maintain your muscle for power. If you develop power, your cruising speed increases because when you jog, youll be able to push down and generate alot of energy without actually trying, because if youre squatting and deadlifting and doing lunges with 100s of pounds, over time, months at least, you will be moving your upper body and that's light compare to when you're lifting, it's nothing.

thepart is how much your heart will be taxed while you get to point A to B, the more weight, the more it works harder. That pace right now youre running could easily be a 12 if you add a backpack with weights on your back, remove that, 9 again.

Just keep in mind these two variables.

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Being able to go a longer distance at a slower pace will help you to eventually be faster when doing a shorter distance. You could also plan some speed workouts or hill workouts. Those are probably the type of workouts in your TomTom. I'm not sure, because I don't have one.

When I was training with a coach (and let me say, this was as a slow adult runner who just wanted to improve myself. Not like an elite runner or anything), he had us do a long run on the weekend (pace doesn't matter, just do the miles). Our training nights were usually speed training, such as 1 minute hard, 30 sec rest (8x), with a 1 mi warm up, 1 mi cool down, for one example. Each week was different. And then 2x per week, just run 3-4 miles at an easy pace.

You don't have to do stuff that involved, I'm just saying, there are options. But the more you run, the more efficient your body will get at running and you should speed up. It takes time. Doing some of this other stuff will help too. There are 10K training plans on the web that include stuff like speed drills. Learning the lingo is part of the struggle, which is why I appreciated my coach explaining things. Part of it, for me, was developing the confidence that I CAN go faster and I'm not going to die! :)
  • tirowow12385
    edited April 2019
    add me, i can give you tips, i was just stuck at the 9:00-9:30 pace back in december to february, was truly elated when i broke through just seemed to jet past 8 minutes per mile without difficulty, id say this coincided with significant strength gain, from my starting point to now. I believe you can improve just like me.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    First I'm not fast, I can run a 30min 5k but it half kills me. I am getting faster at my chosen distance (been working on my marathon time but now they're done I'm moving back down to half marathons)

I do a mix of different types of run to improve my speed.
    The long run is probably the most important, how long depends on what distance you're training for. My PT wants me to do at least 1 10-13mile a month and the other weeks 6+miles this is for half training. These runs help you build endurance, time on feet and confidence in your ability to run the shorter distances. They should be run slow enough that you can hold a conversation (or as I'm a solo runner I try and pass the sing test, i should be able to sing along to my music)

Then you have short, fast runs. 3-6miles at a comfortably fast pace. You should feel slightly out of breath but still able to sustain the pace.

Tempo runs are more uncomfortably fast, warm up for 0.5-1mile, run 1-2 miles at that pace, then cool down. You can also do these as interval runs, I warm up for 2min, then run 0.5mile fast as I can, slow to recovery pace for 4min, repeat as often as I have time for. Or I run a timed mile, warm up for a couple mins then run a mile loop as fast as I can.

Then you can add sprints, I do these weekly with a trainer. She makes sure I thoroughly warm up then gets me doing speed work and sprints. Find a straight path with regular lampposts for this, start by sprinting to one, walking/gently running to next, build up to 2,3 or 4 lampposts.

Plus hills, I love me some hill work. Warm up, pick a hill, run up it as far or fast as you can, get back down to the bottom. (I like to choose hills on a loop so I can recover on my way round) and repeat.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Most important is to run more. If you are currently running 3 miles 3 days a week, run 3 miles 4 days a week. When that feels comfortable, add another day. Then start adding distance to your runs. If you're running 15 mpw, add 1-2 miles, spread over a couple of runs. Run slowly. You should be able to hold a conversation while you're running. If you're alone, can you recite the words to the songs on your phone while you run? If you run slowly enough, you won't have to walk during your runs.

When you are running 20+ miles a week, then start adding some speed work one day a week. Keep all the other runs easy. Warm up for a mile or more, then do 1/4 mile faster segments with 1/4 mile recovery for a couple of miles. OR warm up then run moderately hard for 10-20 minutes, then cool down again. Doing speed work early in your training is likely to get you injured, so wait until you have more time on your feet.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    are you following any kind of running plan? so right now i'm training for an ironman (so I have swimming and biking training as well) - but my runs are a long slow where i plan on 1-2min below threshold pace and then a tempo run where i push my pace - i do run/walk intervals

so my tempo run today was 35min
    5min Z1; 5min Z2; 15min Z3; 5min Z2; 5min Z1

my intervals varied from 1/1:30 for the Z1; 1:45/1 for the Z2; 2:30/:30 for my Z3
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    Run slowly and slowly increase your distance. As you get able to run longer you'll automatically get faster on shorter distances. Build in variation and not always do the same. For example in a week:

longer, very slow run. Run at a pace where you can still speak and go longer (keep the not more than 10% more per week in mind).
    medium pace run. Maybe a 5k. You should still be able to kind of talk. Faster than the longer run but not so fast that you wreck youself or have to pause
    something for fun: small intervals with fast running alternating with very slow running, maybe use streetlight poles for that. Or do something whenever you see a red car. Or run faster uphill and slower downhill, etc...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Do a bridge to 10k program
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    You're getting advice all over the place here... Some more useful that others.

First, ignore how fast others are running. If it really bothers you, stop looking at Strava. The only person you should care about is you.

If you want to improve, get a plan. Just 'trying to run' won't cut it. Since you can run 5k without stopping, maybe get a good 10k plan and go from there (check this one out - https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/10k-training/novice-10k/). You don't need speed work at this stage. Consistently going longer at slower speed will make you faster.

For your diet just eat normally. Keep it balanced and within your calorie goal. You're not near the distance to be worried about that. Be patient and you will get there.

Good luck.
  • chrisredmayne
    Thanks for all your tips everyone. I've been doing some DDP yoga alongside the running and especially the below the belt routine and it seems to be really improving my leg strength. Managed a 28 min 50 5k yesterday!! So pleased with it, definitely slow pace but no stopping seems the way forward. Gonna try and do a slower one for longer soon and will check out those schedules as well to get to 10k
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I'd like to disagree with the guy who said you don't need to do speed work at this point.
    I know, the "long, slow run" guys will talk about mitochondria and getting more of them and all.
    But to run further for longer, you must improve your aerobic capacity. It has always seemed to me that the best way to do that is to tax your lungs.
    A long slow run doesn't really tax your lungs. It might cause you enough discomfort so you will stop. But it doesn't call on your lungs to do more than they have in the past.
    Holding five-pound weights straight out from my shoulders is going to hurt a lot after a while. But even if I do it day after day it is not going to make me much stronger. If I push press heavy weight, and add weight periodically, however ....
    I think there is an analogy there.
    I believe I have made the best progress in my running when I incorporate sprints and hill running. Tax your lungs. Make them heave for oxygen. It feels like it makes them expand, and your body gets more accustomed to that discomfort. (On the plus side, hills and sprints do not last very long, which i think makes it easier. More intense discomfort for a short period of time, versus grinding discomfort that goes on and on.)
    Of course, to run long you are going to have to do long runs too. But I find that the jumps in improvement come (faster anyway) from the sprints, tempo work, hills.
    Just an alternative perspective. Boxers typically do long jogs. Football and soccer players typically do wind sprints. Both are looking for endurance. Both seem to be getting it.