Losing Weight With a Neck/Back Injury

Options
Hi all. I have a herniated disc in my C Spine and it’s a chronic pain disorder. I have arthritis and degenerative disc as well. For the next couple of weeks, I won’t be able to work our because I’m getting a cortisone shot in my neck, something I’ve been putting off. Does anyone else have a similar issue? How do you exercise and lose weight?

If you see my profile, I eat horribly. I’m going food shopping this weekend (recommendations of filling foods with low calories please!) so I’m eating whatever I can until then.

Please keep me in your thoughts. I really hope y’all can give me some direction and definitely add me as a friend please!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You just need to be in an energy (calorie/kilojoule) deficit.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Rest your back. Herniate disks do heal. Physical therapy can help.

If you think your diet is "horrible," then change it. Your own resolve to improve what counts.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Last year this time of year, I was relearning to walk because of neck injury. Has been painful journey and but have lost 70lbs since June. You don’t need to exercise, you just need deficit. Have been slowly increasing exercise but can promise you, it’s not necessary.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    And if you are serious, start now, bot this weekend. Eat what you would normally, just stay within your calorie needs. It really is as simple, and as hard, as that.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You will or will not lose weight the same way you do when exercising. Counting calories/measuring what you eat and, if you're not happy with your choices, making better choices...will still lead to weight loss for you.

Start logging accurately and try to be kind to yourself, you'll get there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The MFP default macros are 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.. I find I stay fuller longer on a little more protein, plus hitting my fiber goal (usually via high volume, lower calorie veggies). So I focus on protein and veggies. I eat at least 30% fat with no effort. And I must have some carbs or the meal just doesn't feel right. Eating this way helps me stay in a calorie deficit.

Other find fat very satiating and so ways of eating (WOE) like keto appeal to them.