Not sweating?

Options
Maybe this is a weird question, but I have a workout dvd I've been regularly doing for 3 months, with some weight training and cardio workouts mixed in. Lately, I am getting better at the moves and still get a good breath going, but I am not ending the workout sweaty. I still feel fairly challenged but is this a sign I need something harder or that something is wrong? I am hydrated and down about 17 lbs since starting my routine. Has anybody else had this issue?

Replies

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It’s really more about heart rate than sweating.

Maybe a heart rate monitor would give you more objective data.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,323 Member
    Options
    Some sweat more than others..

Anhidrosis (Google it).. lack of sweating can be a health problem ..

The question is.. after the workout.. do you feel tired or exhausted at all? If not.. do something more challenging to you.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If you are increasing your heart rate and are feeling challenged don't worry about it. I have to go to hot yoga (>95 degrees, 33 people in the room) to be sweaty when I work out. I am just not a "sweat - er".
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    sweating = autonomic function; generally not a good marker to determine progress or gauge intensity. Far too many variables to account for as well
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you’ve lost 17lb then I’m guessing the same workout is likely to not be as challenging now you’re lighter and fitter. (Try using a weighted jacket and doing it and I bet you’ll work up a sweat!).
    Challenge yourself to step up a level and do a more intense or longer session, see how you feel, did you sweat more? If you don’t like it you can always go back to your old routine but challenging our bodies and pushing out of that comfort zone is how we get fitter & stronger.
    Find some videos on YouTube like Fitness Blender and let us know how you get on. You’ve got this!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    If you like the sweat just jog or run vigirously, you'll work up a good sweat.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    RPE - Rate of Perceived Exertion - is a better way/attempt to objectify/quantify intensity based on feel/subjective.
    I think it's a fairly good way to ballpark when one needs to up the intensity for progression. Different scales based on the activity, some more objective than others...some scales use VO2 and HR %s (a bit too much complicated for some/requires devices)
    ovlasac9izrg.png

ec19jblgeucv.png

• mrschappy182
    mrschappy182 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you were sweating and now you are not, and nothing has changed (like room temperature or your outfit), and you are saying you feel "fairly" challenged, maybe you are not as challenged as you were and that is why you are not sweating. Like, you got so used to doing that work out that now your body isn't as effected by it.

Also (and this is just a hypothesis) - has your eating schedule changed? If you stopped eating before your work out, maybe that is why you are not sweating. For example, if I eat and then exercise I perspire but if I don't eat and then work out I'll perspire less/not at all, I feel it has to do with because you are already burning calories and then you're exercising on top of that burn, but IDK.

I havent been eating right before but do drink a lot of water like an hour before. With the weather warming I am wondering if my house just feels cooler since the heater isnt running? I generally dont get as "heated up" I guess.
  • mrschappy182
    mrschappy182 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    If you’ve lost 17lb then I’m guessing the same workout is likely to not be as challenging now you’re lighter and fitter. (Try using a weighted jacket and doing it and I bet you’ll work up a sweat!).
    Challenge yourself to step up a level and do a more intense or longer session, see how you feel, did you sweat more? If you don’t like it you can always go back to your old routine but challenging our bodies and pushing out of that comfort zone is how we get fitter & stronger.
    Find some videos on YouTube like Fitness Blender and let us know how you get on. You’ve got this!

Good point! I am not doing the newbie modifications anymore so I thought I was "stepping up" but I didnt think about the loss of weight resistance! I probably just need to push more.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At my triathlon club there are people like me who have a puddle of sweat to clean up after a ride and other who look like they could just change clothes and go out for a nice brunch. People have different sweat rates and the weight loss may have something to do with it (I know I still sweat a lot when exercising but when I was my heaviest I'd sweat sitting at my desk....)
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Some sweat more than others. It sounds like you have a great thing going, so I wouldn't worry too much - I don't sweat much, either, but I can feel the workout working. Keep it up!