Calorie burning question...

Options
I have a question about burning calories. I go to a gym and I am usually there for an hour. I put in half an hour on the treadmill, and half an hour on the bike.

In the half hour on the treadmill, it tells me that I have burned 155 calories. I know that it's just an estimate. If I use a calculator that takes in consideration my weight, speed and incline, it tells me I burned 293 calories. That seems like a big difference. What number should I use?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As you haven't given your weight or the distance you run on the treadmill it's impossible for anyone to guess as both numbers are in the realms of possible.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    They’re both estimations and both are reasonable. Can’t go wrong picking the lowest of the two.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    As you haven't given your weight or the distance you run on the treadmill it's impossible for anyone to guess as both numbers are in the realms of possible.

Agreed.

It’s really hard to guess without knowing anything about what you did and your stats. Yesterday I did 15 mins of incline intervals (low 8% for 30 secs - high 14% for 2 mins) at 3 mph. Treadmill said about 100 calories and watch said about 129. Not a lot of difference. Online calculators tell me around 108 with my weight factored in. The watch used my HR for it’s estimate. This just tells me that the particular treadmill is using a weight that is close to my actual weight in its calculation. If your weight isn’t close to what the treadmill is using you could be burning more or less.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Does your gym/a friend have a heart rate monitor you could borrow? Even if only for one session, you could get a decently-accurate baseline measurement then use that figure moving forward and adjust proportionally if need be.