Just started Stronglifts - can't OHP with bar

Options
2»

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody! Our school has a girls' weight room and a boys' weight room. I think I remember seeing some curl bars in the boys' room, but I have less access to that area (it gets used more by students, and it's really there for them).

So, if I can use those, great. If not, I'm thinking to go ahead and use the bar for as many sets as I can, and then go to dumbbells to complete the last set or two.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you can do 3x5 with the 45lb bar, I'd keep going. That's incredible!

Strict presses I'm in the 30lb range, but I do like 3x8 or 3x12. For push presses I can use the 45lb bar for 3x8 or 3x12. Just different training sets, I'd imagine. I see 5x5 referenced a lot though!

Whatever direction you decide to go - GREAT JOB!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, this is the best drill you can do to improve shoulder flexibility for overhead lifts. It's how all Olympic weightlifters prepare their shoulders. I learned of it and did it faithfully when I was learning the Olympic lifts. To this day, this is the first flexibility exercise I do to prepare for my workouts, regardless if whether I'm doing overhead press work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02HdChcpyBs

I can see how this would be useful to increase flexibility. I have the opposite issue, which is that my shoulders are "loose" which caused me to suffer through some mild shoulder separation incidents and also gives me problems with OHPs. (In case anyone else has this issue, I warm up using my rehab exercises like standing & incline cuban press with very light weights and light-weight external and internal rotation using the cables). I'm adding this just to increase awareness that people are structured differently and what might be tremendously useful for some lifters is going to exacerbate problems with others :)
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with doing 3x5, there is no specific reason for 5x5. Starting Strength is 3x5 so don't sweat the other 2 sets unless and until you want to try them out.

I know my OHP is like light switch, either on or off. If I struggle with my last rep then my next set is going to be lucky to get it off my chest.