I need a keto mentor

Options
Please?

My husband and I tried (our interpreted version) of J-Lo & ARod's 10 Day Challenge. We took that to mean no sugar, no carbs, no dairy, no sugar substitutes, no processed anything. He lost 8 pounds and I lost 11. So, we decided that the challenge diet was close enough to keto we went to keto. But now that I research more about it, I don't know how feasible this is.

It looks like you're supposed to monitor your blood (ketone levels). How do I know what my nutrients are supposed to be every day (fat, carbs, calories, etc.)? I entered my info into MFP but is it accurate? Is keto for long-term (maintaining)? Looks like it's may just be meant to give you a good kick start to weight loss.

Any volunteers who can guide us through this?

Replies

• sat4420
    sat4420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in no way expert enough to be a mentor, but I’d be glad to be a Keto friend and answer questions if I can. There are some great YouTube channels that offer great advice. That’s where I have gotten lots of info - Keto Connect, Dr. Ken Berry, Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Eric Berg, and Go Keto With Casey.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Check out the low carb groups on the community. Personally I'd avoid Youtube as it's full of broscience and diet industry sales ploys.

Keto is just a way of eating that helps some people stick to a calorie deficit because they find the higher fat more satiating, so ideally you should be looking for a way of eating you can stick to long term.

By reducing carbs you do see a bigger drop at the beginning because your body loses a higher proportion of water weight compared to other ways of eating, however, over time the trend for weight lost is about the same as any other way of eating.

Keto Macro splits are typically:

60-75% Fat
    15-30% Protein
    5-10% Carbs

You don't need to monitor your ketone levels either, it's just another example of the diet industry being happy to take money from people who are willing to pay for it.

Here is a more unbiased article on Keto that might help https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the-beginners-guide-to-the-keto-diet-or-ketogenic-diet/
  • sat4420
    sat4420 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have gotten quite a bit of useful information from YouTube without ever having to buy any advertised products or falling for ‘sales ploys’. The only thing I’ve spent money on is food ;)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Check out the low carb groups on the community. Personally I'd avoid Youtube as it's full of broscience and diet industry sales ploys.

Keto is just a way of eating that helps some people stick to a calorie deficit because they find the higher fat more satiating, so ideally you should be looking for a way of eating you can stick to long term.

By reducing carbs you do see a bigger drop at the beginning because your body loses a higher proportion of water weight compared to other ways of eating, however, over time the trend for weight lost is about the same as any other way of eating.

Keto Macro splits are typically:

60-75% Fat
    15-30% Protein
    5-10% Carbs

You don't need to monitor your ketone levels either, it's just another example of the diet industry being happy to take money from people who are willing to pay for it.

Here is a more unbiased article on Keto that might help https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the-beginners-guide-to-the-keto-diet-or-ketogenic-diet/

All of this! :+1:

biz_kid1 wrote: »
    Please?

My husband and I tried (our interpreted version) of J-Lo & ARod's 10 Day Challenge. We took that to mean no sugar, no carbs, no dairy, no sugar substitutes, no processed anything. He lost 8 pounds and I lost 11. So, we decided that the challenge diet was close enough to keto we went to keto. But now that I research more about it, I don't know how feasible this is.

It looks like you're supposed to monitor your blood (ketone levels). How do I know what my nutrients are supposed to be every day (fat, carbs, calories, etc.)? I entered my info into MFP but is it accurate? Is keto for long-term (maintaining)? Looks like it's may just be meant to give you a good kick start to weight loss.

Any volunteers who can guide us through this?

Keto is low enough carbs to achieve ketosis, which is under 50g total for MOST, under 20g is probably a definite for everyone. That's it. You can tweak it to be higher fat, higher protein, no artificial stuff, or whatever, as it fits your personal beliefs or tastes, or depending on your fitness goals (weight loss or muscle building/fitness.) You tend to need more protein and less fat for weight loss and fitness. To maintain on it, you just increase fat and protein to hit maintenance calories.

I was keto for 1.5 straight years before a health crisis forced me to just go low-carb. Never measured a single ketone!

I used liquid sucralose every day while keto and still use it everyday in my coffee. It's fine.

Reddit Keto has a great FAQ. I highly suggest you read it. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    Join the Keto or Low Carber Daily Forum for support. I help mod both.

HTH.
  • AllyCunningham
    AllyCunningham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did keto for over 2 years if you have any questions i am happy to answer. I never bought into the marketing tactics that many companies create that is just a way for them to take your money, I as well only really spent money on food.
  • biz_kid1
    biz_kid1 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thank you all! Will post when I have specific questions!

We did find that after the challenge, our old "regular food" did NOT taste the same! Like, wasn't even worth us wasting our nutrients on eating it. So I guess it changed our taste buds/cravings for the better!
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm just going back to keto after having done it for a while and then broke and ate tons of carbs and gained most the weight back. I need accountability...maybe we can help each other?