Any Professors, Teachers or Educators out there?

smiles6428
smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
edited May 2019 in Getting Started
Looking for others in education to share this journey with. I find myself getting into amazing shape every summer only to lose everything to stress eating and no exercise over the school year. Would love to have some friends with similar challenges.

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    *raises hand*
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Me. I work in a high school. I got things under control from Jan-April now trying to maintain. Goal for summer is lifting/recomp.
  • MzRCR
    MzRCR Posts: 13 Member
    Elementary school teacher 🍎. Trying to get motivated to exercise.
  • KailyKailyKaily
    KailyKailyKaily Posts: 4 Member
    Me! I literally have a Pinterest board called "stress eating in quarter 4" I feel ya. 19 more school days here...
  • ttugurl
    ttugurl Posts: 23 Member
    Middle School Teacher here, 20 days left here. I've restarted and only on week 1, I know I can last till June, but the summer! I hope I can overcome the temptation! Not to mention those holidays like Mother's Day and Memorial Day. It's easy for me at work but once I'm at home...we shall see!
  • texasredreb
    I teach career ed to visually impaired students. Out last day is 5/31. I have a week off and then 4 weeks of summer school. Off all of July. I hope to be down 20-25lbs by 8/1. I'm traveling for a week and then back to work...
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 602 Member
    High school, special ed alternative (off-campus). I absolutely love my students and my job. I think it is the weather here (WI) that makes a bigger difference to me, although it is certainly easier to be outside more in summer due to fewer time constraints. One nice thing about off campus is that there are no parties, treats, etc., year-round. One bad thing is that there are no parties, treats, etc., year-round :)

I lost 20 lbs or so last summer and kept it off this school year--a struggle in and of itself. But I am happy to keep up that pattern and experience maintenance between summers. I work a lot (unpaid) in summer to prep for the coming year, but having my time under my control makes a difference. Plus the fresh foods more readily and more cheaply available, too.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    High school - physics, computer science, research and design. I lost 80 pounds and have been in maintenance since November. I know the struggle with stress eating.
  • Kinalau
    Kinalau Posts: 26 Member
    High school principal here. I've lost 100 pounds over a little more than a year. I very much struggle with stress eating and this final quarter of the year is the worst right now :)
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Middle school! I train all school year but it is a commitment.

And our teachers' lounge is no joke when it comes to snacks...:) teacher lyfe is hard.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    I'm a Kindergarten Teacher, trying my best to avoid those staff room snacks! Feel free to add me, we can motivate one another, or at the very least, complain and relate! :)
  • firecraker05
    firecraker05 Posts: 41 Member
    I’m a high school math teacher and struggle with finding time to exercise during the week. Add to that the routine of having a new baby and making time for her as well. Any support and/or suggestions and greatly appreciated.
  • texasredreb
    I haven't really worked out a way to fit in a lot of formal exercise during the school year. In addition to my teaching job, I also volunteer another 15-20 hours a week at an animal shelter. Mostly, I work with dogs but I also teach classes to volunteers trying to advance their skills; train incoming volunteers, do behavior modifications on dogs identified with risky behaviors and write training protocols for dogs with significant barriers to adoption.
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    I always start the school year off in great shape saying “I’m not going to let myself get in terrible shape again” only to go down to next to no exercise within just a few weeks. I’m ready for that cycle to stop!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I'm a high school English teacher. Posting between sets in the weight room after school! :smiley: More in a bit. Time for that gosh-darned OHP. :P
  • DeeMyFitPal
    DeeMyFitPal Posts: 4 Member
    Special Ed teacher here. I am pretty good about exercising but food has always been a work in progress. This is the first time I’m trying to use the community to help keep on track.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Happy Teacher appreciation day today all.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I was a 5th grade Teacher, stayed home with my kids for 9 years, came back 2 years ago as a Special Ed Para. Honestly, I love my job...I walk out at bus dismissal (3:45) and head to the gym 2 days a week. I'm also SUPER lucky that the staff are all pretty like-minded and avoid bringing in tons of treats for the lounge.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    High School teacher.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited May 2019
    Me! Feel free to add. High school music.