Supplements?

Options
Sammy_B27
Sammy_B27 Posts: 1 Member
New to losing weight and I just wanna know what everyone would recommend. I'm Male, early 30s, just over 300lbs. There are so many out there that I am unsure of which one to get, or if i should be taking multiple types for better results. Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is no supplement that directly helps to loose weight(burn fat) expect cafeine/coffee worth not more than 50kcal. Eat like said @jeniffer_417 but dont set any extreme weight loss, bcs it isnt maintanable for most people and its unhealthy. You should feel well and not hungry. Add any activity.. Start with Walking e.g. Not only to support weight lose but your overall health.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I started on 170 kg (375 pounds) with MFP just over a year ago and so far lost 32 kg, 70 pounds. Let MFP do the calculations, you choose the macros you are happy with for your daily meal plan. I donate blood and over time my iron level has dropped, so I take an iron tablet every couple of days. Otherwise I don't take anything. Stay with MFP and its great members, plenty of support and advise out there.
  • emeraldwoods4214
    emeraldwoods4214 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I’ve been taking B vitamins and it’s helps a lot with the 3 o’clock energy slump that usually drove me to cravings for a sweet coffee or cookie. After lunch, I’ve been taking the B12 sublingual supplement. My doctor did recommend that I take it along with iron because I’m deficient.
    Maybe get some bloodwork done to see if you have a deficiency before you spend your cash.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322644.php

I take B12, D and magnesium. This is a decent list, which happens to include these. If you are getting them from food it is better, but there can be a lot of things to focus on at first so these are not a terrible place to start.

Many people find it easier to meet protein goals with the addition of a protein powder. It is not needed, but diet can get boring if your calories are low and you are trying to get 30-35% protein.

Beyond this it really is about learning the realities of how you are currently eat and figuring out how to adjust that in a way that keeps you full, gives you enough energy and keeps you in deficit.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I take iron prescribed by Dr when I was pregnant because I'm breastfeeding. Unless your deficient there is no point. Multi vitamin pills you buy from shops don't have enough of anything to cover any deficiency, I. E I was found to be iron deficient even though I was taking pregnancy multivitamins.
    Having said that I have a vitaplan as part of my breakfast because its a lazy balanced meal which I can drink while feeding or doing other things.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Sammy_B27 wrote: »
    New to losing weight and I just wanna know what everyone would recommend. I'm Male, early 30s, just over 300lbs. There are so many out there that I am unsure of which one to get, or if i should be taking multiple types for better results. Any help would be much appreciated.

Supplements aren't going to help you lose weight. Supplements are for supplementing things you are lacking in your diet or deficient in.

I am D deficient so I supplement as per my Dr.'s recommendations. I also take fish oil and a multi-vitamin to cover my bases. I supplement with whey sometimes to help me get my protein in...usually on days when my diet is largely vegetarian and I know I'm lower than I'd like to be.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I started taking a multivitamin when I started losing weight just to cover my vitamins and minerals that I might not be getting in my diet. I try hard to get my macros right, but sometimes struggle. It's probably a waste of money, but it's also cheap insurance and peace of mind.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I started taking a multivitamin when I started losing weight just to cover my vitamins and minerals that I might not be getting in my diet. I try hard to get my macros right, but sometimes struggle. It's probably a waste of money, but it's also cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Actually, studies have shown that rather than insurance, they can actually do more harm than good. A quick Google will fill in the exact details.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Supplements, as mentioned above are most useful to 'plug the gaps' in nutrition rather than as a primary tool and can in some circumstances be a complete waste of money.

For example, if you're lacking in some vitamins and minerals due to your food choices than a vitamin supplement like a multi can be useful in addressing that deficiency. If you're not lacking, then taking a multi is just a way to make expensive pee.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Actually, studies have shown that rather than insurance, they can actually do more harm than good. A quick Google will fill in the exact details.

I don't take them everyday because they have calories. The vitamins I take are not high dose. Not a single vitamin/mineral in my supplement is 100% of USRDA. The highest are calcium and vitamin both at 50% of USRDA. So, I still say they are cheap insurance.