13»

Replies

• beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    echmain3 wrote: »
    Nerys52 wrote: »
    Chickens had much more taste back then my mother used to tell me years ago. same for fruits, veg etc.

These things had more taste “back then”?

Sorry, not buying it.

Chicken today are bred to grow fast and to grow way bigger than they use to. Whether you believe this or not, these genetic changes do affect the overall flavor of the meat. If you want to see for yourself, I highly recommend buying an Organic, Free-Range Chicken that is fed a natural diet and not one of corn, and you will notice 2 things. It's MUCH smaller than a chicken that you can buy in the grocery store, and it just tastes better.

The diet of any meat animal will affect it's taste. That's not a "back then" situation. Chickens were bred en masse and fed a diet of grains even "back then" and there are chickens raised on mixed or free range diets today.
    That also has nothing to do with the breeding or any supposed genetic changes. Chicken flesh is chicken flesh.

I have a hobby farm and eat chickens I’ve raised. Different breeds of chickens grow at different rates and can taste different. Diet is a factor, but hybrids that are bred for fast growth really do have less flavor than slower growing breeds that have been fed the same. They’re usually more tender though, and are better for recipes that involve quick cooking over low and slow methods.