Definitely WORTH logging while travelling - even without scales! Strategies etc.

Options
Hi All,

Just wanted to share recent experience. I don't know if anyone will find it useful or motivational, but it's useful for me to keep track of what works for myself, too, and engaging actively here keeps me accountable.

I've just got back from a one month work trip to the States. I was really concerned about gaining weight, particularly as my accommodation didn't have scales and I would be eating out a fair bit, plus missing my regular training and classes at the gym. I just tried my hardest to keep to my weight loss calories where possible (1600 ish). I managed this some days, but it was more like 1700-2000 some days too, with the odd all-out 2500-3000 once or twice (e.g. when exploring restaurants in New York). I have been missing my usual gym routine, but I did make sure I walked at least 10,000 steps a day, often more - walking instead of ubering or bussing whenever I could. I've just got home and the scales are...... basically the same as before I left (+ 1 or 2 lbs). I'm so pleased - I really had no idea where they would be. I've lost 34 lbs recently and I really believe if I hadn't kept on top of this I could have gained a big percentage of that back on this trip, if not possibly all of it. I think lessons for myself for the future are:

- I logged every day
- I was honest, estimating high rather than low when eating out
- I aimed at my 'loss' calories, which seemed to mean with some variance I managed to maintain - and I wasn't beating myself up about enjoying food sometimes because there was balance
- I kept active
- I weighed myself immediately on getting home, even though I was scared. The loss work starts again now!

I'm interested to see if others have experiences or strategies for managing work travel and lack of scales!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    #winning <3
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options

- I logged every day
    - I was honest, estimating high rather than low when eating out

These two, especially! These two things have made a difference for me. Very good advice, IMO. Although, I estimate high with everything I'm even a little unsure of.

Well done! :)