Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Plenity-Weight loss device FDA approved

SuzySunshine99
SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/29/health/obesity-weight-loss-capsule-plenity-gelesis-fda/index.html

I see a lot of people turning to prescription drugs or surgery to try to help with weight loss. This is something different and may be an interesting alternative for some people if it's safe and effective.

I always love though, the disclaimer that it works if you use it "along with diet and exercise".

What do you all think?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I read somewhere that the capsule contained a type of fiber. I figure if fiber is the way to increase feelings of fullness, there are all kinds of foods naturally high in fiber and even Metamucil that have to be better than something dreamed up in a lab. But, to each his own.

It’s actually pieces of a gel-like substance that expand in your stomach. So, it doesn’t just make you “feel” full. Your stomach is physically full.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    There are a number of us within the pharmaceutical industry frustrated with the tendency to treat symptom over root cause, but as most root causes are behavioral there isn't much one can do. Most legacy drugs would never survive today's regulatory scrutiny.

The marketers played a clever regulatory game on this one. Encapsulated fiber with no pharmacokinitec action.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My main problem with this is the problem I have with all "diet aids". At some point, you have to be able to get used to the correct amount of food. Unless you are going to buy and swallow these pills for the rest of your life, you're just delaying the inevitable. If you are the type of person who needs high volume to feel full, figure out what high volume foods you like and eat them.

I suppose the best way to use these would be to start out with a schedule to wean yourself off them, so a smaller and smaller dose (if that's possible) until you're adjusted. And specifically for obese people who need to drastically cut their calories quickly for health reasons. Otherwise IMHO, slowly working into a deficit while incorporating high volume foods would accomplish the same thing and you'd actually learn how to eat.

It does sound like it is safer than prescription appetite suppressants.

Solid point. But if a person loses a bunch of weight (it doesn't sound like this is for those last 5 vanity pounds) that should lower their BMR and TDEE and hopefully reduce their level of hunger. Hopefully that will make it easier to adjust to a more sensible way of eating.

Also, it seems like diet preferences have a bit of inertia. Hope many people get used to eating more on a bulk and have a hard time switching into cut mode? Hopefully this kind of treatment will help on that front too.

Obviously it remains to be seen. Obesity is for sure a growing problem, anything that helps is good news in my book.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    There are a number of us within the pharmaceutical industry frustrated with the tendency to treat symptom over root cause, but as most root causes are behavioral there isn't much one can do. Most legacy drugs would never survive today's regulatory scrutiny.

The marketers played a clever regulatory game on this one. Encapsulated fiber with no pharmacokinitec action.

I've never had a doctor prescribe more bike rides, time with friends or in nature, or making more love. The cynic in me says these things can't be put in a little plastic bottle and charged to your insurance. But I bet doctors lament that they can give good advice and most people won't take it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited May 2019

I've never had a doctor prescribe more bike rides, time with friends or in nature, or making more love. The cynic in me says these things can't be put in a little plastic bottle and charged to your insurance. But I bet doctors lament that they can give good advice and most people won't take it.

At wound care, I heard the Dr. talking to diabetics and reiterating their instructions on the need to change their diet and exercise. They literally have open wounds that are not healing due to their poor diet and and accompanying blood sugar issues, requiring more visits and care. It must be intensely frustrating to be a doctor and have patients ignore advice and instructions and continue with self destructive behaviors.
  • CSARdiver

Physicians used to do this, until they began catering to the consumer who demanded a quick fix. I talk with several physicians who wish for a return to the older days of medicine, but once the genie is out of the bottle...
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    My main problem with this is the problem I have with all "diet aids". At some point, you have to be able to get used to the correct amount of food. Unless you are going to buy and swallow these pills for the rest of your life, you're just delaying the inevitable. If you are the type of person who needs high volume to feel full, figure out what high volume foods you like and eat them.

I suppose the best way to use these would be to start out with a schedule to wean yourself off them, so a smaller and smaller dose (if that's possible) until you're adjusted. And specifically for obese people who need to drastically cut their calories quickly for health reasons. Otherwise IMHO, slowly working into a deficit while incorporating high volume foods would accomplish the same thing and you'd actually learn how to eat.

Solid point. But if a person loses a bunch of weight (it doesn't sound like this is for those last 5 vanity pounds) that should lower their BMR and TDEE and hopefully reduce their level of hunger. Hopefully that will make it easier to adjust to a more sensible way of eating.

Also, it seems like diet preferences have a bit of inertia. Hope many people get used to eating more on a bulk and have a hard time switching into cut mode? Hopefully this kind of treatment will help on that front too.

Obviously it remains to be seen. Obesity is for sure a growing problem, anything that helps is good news in my book.

I thought it was fairly well established that losing any significant amount of weight increases hunger, and not just in the short term either?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

Physicians used to do this, until they began catering to the consumer who demanded a quick fix. I talk with several physicians who wish for a return to the older days of medicine, but once the genie is out of the bottle...

I had a doctor told me i should I engage in moderate physical activity 4 days a week (endocrinology) - i just looked at her and said you know i run marathon's right...then i got the lecture about doing too much...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i'm fustrated that they can approve something like this - but drugs that have been in the pipeline for ALS (and other life ending conditions) can't get approved (I have a good friend who is using one of these under the right to try bill that was signed earlier this year and seeing significant improvements)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Could just eat more plain vegetables. Jmho..
  • CSARdiver
    ceiswyn wrote: »

I thought it was fairly well established that losing any significant amount of weight increases hunger, and not just in the short term either?

I don't know if it's even possible to establish such a subjective phenomenon. It's popular myth, but one without objective evidence to support.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

I don't know if it's even possible to establish such a subjective phenomenon. It's popular myth, but one without objective evidence to support.

You can't really measure accurately subjective data, but hormones and brain activity have been measured. They tend to lend the IDEA that we get hungrier.
  • CSARdiver
    psychod787 wrote: »

You can't really measure accurately subjective data, but hormones and brain activity have been measured. They tend to lend the IDEA that we get hungrier.

There is a good deal of objective data supporting that hormones drive appetite (not hunger), but this is largely based upon habit and behavior. Someone used to eating at surplus will habitually want to eat at surplus, but this is not driven by hormones.