Started Cycling!

Options
Panini911
Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Still not running since my "injury" last September but finally bought myself a bike! I'm trying to pace myself into cycling to avoid further injury (all the physios/chiros i am seeing ok'd it and encouraged me to keep moving)

I'm enjoying it and hopefully can do some commutes to work (it's only about 10k). not right now, will build to that!

Starting with a new chiropractor who seems to be honing on what might be one of my major issues so i may even get back into running by fall. but either way hoping the cycling thing pans out!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Congratulations!

Do you have a picture of it?

Two pieces of advice:

1 Get the bike fit, of you're concerned about injury. A lot of fit problems won't hurt you, but there are people who are really good at making sure your knees are properly signed through the pedal stroke etc, to avoid repetitive stress.

2 Ride it like you stole it.
  • Panini911
    edited May 2019
    Options
    oh yes after all this investment in cycling i won't just quite once i run again! and i need to go slowly into running to avoid injury so doing one day run, one day cycle is better!

not quite brave enough to fly down any hills ;) i wasn't as a child either haha
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,466 Member
    Options
    Hey congratulations! Cycling is cool if you have some nice landscape to cycle through. I really enjoy my cycle outings as it's so relaxing, while still a nice workout.

Btw, I started running again because I have a knee injury from a cycle accident (in town, other cyclist avoided crash with crazy car driver and crashed into me instead). At the moment running short distances is less taxing on my knee than cycling 100+ km a few times per week :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Still not running since my "injury" last September but finally bought myself a bike! I'm trying to pace myself into cycling to avoid further injury (all the physios/chiros i am seeing ok'd it and encouraged me to keep moving)

I'm enjoying it and hopefully can do some commutes to work (it's only about 10k). not right now, will build to that!

Starting with a new chiropractor who seems to be honing on what might be one of my major issues so i may even get back into running by fall. but either way hoping the cycling thing pans out!

Welcome to cycling! :)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have promised myself to buy a bicycle once I am down to 120 kg (265 pounds). So far lost 32 kg (70 pounds) - another 18 kg (40 pounds) to go before the big bicycle day!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,466 Member
    Options
    One piece of advise if you plan to cycle longer distances: No undies. Seams of undies are terrible during long rides! Get cycling shorts/leggings (with padding if you saddle is harder) and wear those instead of undies.
  • Panini911
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

Went on a second ride. 10k. felt great. I admit I was a bit deflated when i compared my average speed to what MFP listed and was sad to see it was considered leisurely haha. didn`t feel leisurely to me ;)

feeling a bit sore between rides will likely schedule a bike fit and start researching posture on a bike. Sore in shoulders-middle back.

Bike shorts are on my list to grab they are just more expensive than expected. oddly it is usually the most annoying part of cycling but i`ve not been too bothered there!

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about buying a bike too. Good for you! That's a huge step to take and possibly a decent investment.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Even when you get back running keep cycling, they compliment each other. Add swimming and you're ready to do a triathlon!

I suck at swimming. Tried many times and I'll never be very good at it. There are also races where you bike, do trail running and do kayaking (for those like me that are cruddy in the water!).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Even when you get back running keep cycling, they compliment each other. Add swimming and you're ready to do a triathlon!

I suck at swimming. Tried many times and I'll never be very good at it. There are also races where you bike, do trail running and do kayaking (for those like me that are cruddy in the water!).

You need some adult lessons for proper technique. Swimming is all technique, not intuition. LOTS of triathletes learn to swim just months or weeks before their first event, they might not fast, but the survive!
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Went on a second ride. 10k. felt great. I admit I was a bit deflated when i compared my average speed to what MFP listed and was sad to see it was considered leisurely haha. didn`t feel leisurely to me ;)

feeling a bit sore between rides will likely schedule a bike fit and start researching posture on a bike. Sore in shoulders-middle back.

Bike shorts are on my list to grab they are just more expensive than expected. oddly it is usually the most annoying part of cycling but i`ve not been too bothered there!

You can get a cheap pair of bike shorts from Amazon. That's what I did. Well worth it. I will buy a good pair when I am at my goal size.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

I ride thousands of miles a year. It tells me the same thing. The hardest rides I do are of course the slowest, and MFP calls them leisurely. Temped to flip the computer off sometimes.

Average speed is pretty meaningless on a bike. It's too affected by winds, traffic, and everything else, your effort is lost in the noise.