Tried to eat low carb...was hungry an hour later!

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
So had three eggs and bacon for supper. An hour later was hungry and made a sandwich...wtf...carbs must keep me full. I find that carbs often sustain me more!

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Different macros work for different people in terms of staying full. For me it's protein. YMMV.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have seen several people who have stated the same here.

I pair my carbs with proteins and I find that filling. Carbs alone do not do the trick. I haven't found fat or fiber as filling as some people here have.
  • kds10
    Options
    I feel disappointed in myself...I ate a sandwich plus chips and banana bread. Who does that less than 2 hours after supper? To boot I still feel hungry!
  • kds10
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    just like any other pattern of eating, the body is not gonna respond in 1 hour. you need to eat a certain way at least a few weeks

I agree but it seems like I need so much food to fill me up. I have seen people at work eat a small Tupperware of something and a piece of fruit and they r fine for hours.
  • kds10
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kds10 wrote: »
    I feel disappointed in myself...I ate a sandwich plus chips and banana bread. Who does that less than 2 hours after supper? To boot I still feel hungry!

Working out what makes you full takes some trial and error. If you haven't accomplished it today try a different approach tomorrow. No reason to be disappointed.

just like any other pattern of eating, the body is not gonna respond in 1 hour. you need to eat a certain way at least a few weeks

I agree but it seems like I need so much food to fill me up. I have seen people at work eat a small Tupperware of something and a piece of fruit and they r fine for hours.

Here is an idea to try. I am not saying it will work for you but it does for some people.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1

Thanks I will check out the thread.
  • mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try having hot green tea after dinner. It’s calming and fills you p.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm currently experimenting with a lower carb way of eating right now and having the complete opposite happen-my hunger/appetite has decreased to the point where I have to be intentional about eating, just to get calories in. I've been doing 50g-75g net carbs a day since April 16th and have found this way of eating to have several benefits for me, personally. However-bacon and eggs by themselves wouldn't be a filling meal for me. I like bacon to add taste to dishes but it does nothing for me, in terms of satiety. I like eggs but I usually pair them with another protein and veggies.

Here's what I ate yesterday-
    Before 10am
    -cup of coffee with half&half

10am-4pm
    -cheese stick
    -bruschetta seasoned chicken breast, diced and mixed with a bag of steamers CA blend veggies, (whole bag/4 servings worth of veggies), a whole diced roma tomato and A-1 sauce

4pm-bedtime
    -cheese stick
    -Large dinner salad: spring mix greens, diced onion, hard boiled egg, crumbled bacon, broccoli, red bell pepper, green and black olives, homemade dressing; cottage cheese with 1/4c crushed pineapple mixed in

And a day earlier this week-
    Before 10am

10am-4pm
    -smoked paprika rubbed flat iron steak, with large serving of herb riced cauliflower and A-1 sauce (all mixed together); cottage cheese
    -green smoothie: kale, spinach, strawberries, flavored triple 0 Greek yogurt and half an avocado

4pm-bedtime
    -salmon with honey mustard glaze; large serving of steamed buttered broccoli with Parmesan cheese melted on top

OP, lower carb may not be a good fit for you, however if you're still interested in trying it you may want to just experiment with different foods and see if it starts to click for you :)
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I'm currently experimenting with a lower carb way of eating right now and having the complete opposite happen-my hunger/appetite has decreased to the point where I have to be intentional about eating, just to get calories in. I've been doing 50g-75g net carbs a day since April 16th and have found this way of eating to have several benefits for me, personally. However-bacon and eggs by themselves wouldn't be a filling meal for me. I like bacon to add taste to dishes but it does nothing for me, in terms of satiety. I like eggs but I usually pair them with another protein and veggies.

Here's what I ate yesterday-
    Before 10am

10am-4pm
    -cheese stick
    -bruschetta seasoned chicken breast, diced and mixed with a bag of steamers CA blend veggies, (whole bag/4 servings worth of veggies), a whole diced roma tomato and A-1 sauce

4pm-bedtime
    -cheese stick
    -Large dinner salad: spring mix greens, diced onion, hard boiled egg, crumbled bacon, broccoli, red bell pepper, green and black olives, homemade dressing; cottage cheese with 1/4c crushed pineapple mixed in

And a day earlier this week-
    Before 10am

10am-4pm
    -smoked paprika rubbed flat iron steak, with large serving of herb riced cauliflower and A-1 sauce (all mixed together); cottage cheese
    -green smoothie: kale, spinach, strawberries, flavored triple 0 Greek yogurt and half an avocado

4pm-bedtime
    -salmon with honey mustard glaze; large serving of steamed buttered broccoli with Parmesan cheese melted on top

OP, lower carb may not be a good fit for you, however if you're still interested in trying it you may want to just experiment with different foods and see if it starts to click for you :)

Loving your menu @zeejane4

Hello OP,

There has been mention of macros and tailoring to your needs and this is really important. For example, low carb high protein tends to not limit my hunger, however low carb high fat does (and with quite a bit of exercise, I can get in 100g of quality wholegrain carbs / veggies and still be in ketosis). Ketosis itself does not ensure weight loss but it does let you know your body is using lard not carbs to function and a supressed appetite should be on its way.

Volume was an issue for me at the start and I think on reflection it was the fear of going without or of being hungry that was driving it. For me, nailing the first meal of the day set me up with confidence for the rest of it.

My go to first meal is fried eggs on wholemeal spelt toast with a splosh of olive oil and a large cup of my favourite tea. I then have a second meal later which usually has a large pile of lower carb veggies on it and some fat.

I appreciate this may do nothing for you at all - I suppose I am trying to encourage you to find your way to get you started and as you move forward, your diet and preferences are likely to change, and thats ok too. Many a keto-er gets a bit outraged at my inclusion of toast - that is their problem.

Good luck !

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Most likely you feel hungry, you're not actually hungry, i.e., your body does not need food. You need to train your mind to not think you have to be "full".

Best of luck.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    3 eggs and bacon doesn’t seem like very much - 3 eggs are 200ish cal and bacon is like 100cal for 2 cooked rashers...that wouldn’t come close to satiating me

this. i'd be hungry an hour after that too most likely. and i'm a middle aged short woman.

Stuff like that doesn't fill me up either. i eat in volume but make it fit into my daily calorie. sometimes it means odd meals and lots of deconstructed things (takes longer to eat veggies seperately VS throw into a salad sorta thing). i add volume. but this ends up being slightly lower fat which doesn't work for most people.
  • kds10
    Options
    Yeah ordinarily I would have had a piece of high fiber toast and some diced hashbrowns cooked in a little bit of olive oil alongside the eggs. If I had those two things I would have probably skipped the bacon or just had one or two pieces of bacon.
  • kds10
    Options
    Thanks for some great suggestions as well👍
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Yeah ordinarily I would have had a piece of high fiber toast and some diced hashbrowns cooked in a little bit of olive oil alongside the eggs. If I had those two things I would have probably skipped the bacon or just had one or two pieces of bacon.

that alternative sounds like a great meal. if you need volume add some extra veggies (if you hate veggies and don't need volume don't bother)!

mannny people lose weight eating carbs. low carb works for some but not for everyone - do you!
  • kds10
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

that alternative sounds like a great meal. if you need volume add some extra veggies (if you hate veggies and don't need volume don't bother)!

mannny people lose weight eating carbs. low carb works for some but not for everyone - do you!

Love veggies!! I eat about 3 sweet peppers a day! I think even an apple would have helped. .oh well live and learn.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So had three eggs and bacon for supper. An hour later was hungry and made a sandwich...wtf...carbs must keep me full. I find that carbs often sustain me more!

Are you eating a low carb diet in an attempt to lose weight? If so while that does seem to be a popular woe currently, low carb is not the only way to do it. Some people lose weight with moderate carbs and some lose weight with high carb diets. I personally am finding much easier calorie adherance with a higher carb diet.
  • kds10
    edited May 2019
    Options

Are you eating a low carb diet in an attempt to lose weight? If so while that does seem to be a popular woe currently, low carb is not the only way to do it. Some people lose weight with moderate carbs and some lose weight with high carb diets. I personally am finding much easier calorie adherance with a higher carb diet.

I had success with IF...lost 20 lbs last year...kind of slacked off on it a bit this year by doing IF just some days but not all days of the week like I used to thus have not lost anything. I have 10 lbs left to go. So I thought maybe I will try the low carb Atkins plan.

However, started in the last few weeks to focus more on IF again but at least 6 or 7 days a week not just 4 or 5...weighed myself this a.m. and down 1.5 so I think I will stick with my IF and just eat what I want but of course in moderation during my feeding window.

I find for myself that once I start thinking can't have this or can't have that..it tends to overwhelm me and I always fail in the end. IF worked for me because that control of an eating window seems to keep me in control of my eating.