CrossFit & Macros/Calories

I’ve been doing CrossFit religiously 3x/week for about the last two months, and I recently started tracking my macros. My results so far have been extremely inspiring, and I’ve definitely hit the point where going 3x/week is a habit, and I feel weird if I miss a day. Because I am/was overweight, I know it’s much easier to maintain or gain muscle while still losing fat compared to a lean person (being thick has SOME perks, eh? ). Any input on calorie deficit? From all the research I’ve done, you must have a calorie deficit to lose the fat. You build or maintain muscle through diet and strength training while maintain a caloric deficit. Would love some feedback/confirmation that my thinking and research is correct: I must always be at a caloric deficit to lose fat, and I need not worry about being calorie positive until my goal shifts away from primarily fat loss to primarily muscle gain. Thanks!!!

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited May 2019
    CrossFit is the real deal so congratulations of finding your new fitness passion. It’s also the breeding ground of injuries so be mindful of this.

I say work on a small weekly deficit focusing on creating that deficit on non CrossFit days because you’ll need the fuel (aka) calories on your WOD days.

Take a long-term approach for best results concentrating on athletic performance and watch the fat-burning and muscular development tag along for the ride.

Have you done Pukie Brewster yet?
  • seanvierra7413
    seanvierra7413 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the reply! Nope! Sounds awesome though. Haha. Definitely heard on the injuries. Thankfully, I have a long background in on/off yoga for the last ten plus years, and I own a day spa and medical massage clinic (regular massage receiver), so I feel I’m at least a tiny bit more body aware than a total novice, and I have good access to physical self-care. We do benchmarks every Wednesday—today was Kelly. Ooooofta! Burner for sure. Thanks for the feedback about the calories. That feels right to me—the giving myself some wiggle room on WOD days. I’ve definitely drank the kool-aid/caught the bug. I’ve never done anything as physically hard as CrossFit. It’s so. freakin. hard. But it feels damn good to walk out every day having accomplished something I was “sure I couldn’t do.”