Your thoughts!

Options
ajaxe432
ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
I am just curious to see what your thoughts are on aspartame (and the links below), as I like to hear both sides of argument of the subject. Thanks!

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/diet-coke-defends-aspartame-in-advertisement

http://www.livestrong.com/article/22810-dangers-aspartame/

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Horrible headaches so I just stay away.
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    It is one of the side effects! Totally understandable:) Check out the links I posted! Id like to hear what you think:)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I think too many people are scared of it and I think there are too many people encouraging the fear.
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I think too many people are scared of it and I think there are too many people encouraging the fear.
    Very agreeable! In moderation (like everything else) it probably is not harmful. Do you consume it?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Very agreeable! In moderation (like everything else) it probably is not harmful. Do you consume it?

I sure do.

ETA: I think a person would have to drink a crap ton(and I mean crap ton!) of it before it would become an issue. (Unless there was a pre-existing medical issue)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke everyday. I drink a lot less now than I used to, but I still drink it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with aspartame.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have seen no research saying it is bad for the general public. And I believe that's probably true. But I'd be lying if I said my husband's Diet Coke habit was not a concern to me. Though I worry as much about the cola as the sweetener. I would feel a little better if it was diet sprite or tea or something non-cola. But I would still worry a little about the amount of aspartame. His habit =/= moderation.
  • ajaxe432
    Options

I sure do.

ETA: I think a person would have to drink a crap ton(and I mean crap ton!) of it before it would become an issue. (Unless there was a pre-existing medical issue)
    Ya, I think so too! Its amazing how it catches wildfire after one person states it is bad in a review. I do not consume it because I have never used anything other than regular sugar or honey, and I do not drink soda. Either or, your right...moderation is key:)
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I drink diet coke everyday. I drink a lot less now than I used to, but I still drink it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with aspartame.
    :) Thank you for the input!
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I have seen no research saying it is bad for the general public. And I believe that's probably true. But I'd be lying if I said my husband's Diet Coke habit was not a concern to me. Though I worry as much about the cola as the sweetener. I would feel a little better if it was diet sprite or tea or something non-cola. But I would still worry a little about the amount of aspartame. His habit =/= moderation.
    At first I was biased and believed it was horrible. Then getting on the forums and looking where to do the research (Scholar cites) I have had my view questioned! Just like you stated, there is no credible research I could find to say it was bad. I was hoping for someone to give me some links. Lol I guess that happens;) I hope all works out for your husband! I do not drink so I can not relate. From what I hear, loaded with overconsumption of pretty much everything! THanks for the input!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally. In a restaurant, I refuse to pay $2 bucks for ANY drink! I don't keep it in the house much. I don't like the taste of many artificial sweeteners so why bother? I have a friend who gets VERY ill from it
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's going to kill you, but if the government says it's okay I pretty much figure it's like arsenic and act accordingly. :laugh:

Rigger
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I don't think it's going to kill you, but if the government says it's okay I pretty much figure it's like arsenic and act accordingly. :laugh:

Rigger
    Literally man, was drinking some water when I read this......Now Im wiping off the computer screen. Funny stuff!!!!
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I drink it occasionally. In a restaurant, I refuse to pay $2 bucks for ANY drink! I don't keep it in the house much. I don't like the taste of many artificial sweeteners so why bother? I have a friend who gets VERY ill from it
    I have friends who get ill on it too. It has a side effect warning on it. Headaches, nausea, etc. I see your point about the restaurant! Thanks for the input!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I almost never drink soda,just never cared much for it.If I did,would be regular soda.
    I get migraines,so staying away from artifical sweeteners of all types has made a huge difference
    ,seldom get a migraine more than one every 3/4 mos.
    Quite a change from having one several times a week.No loss.....very worth it to me.Plain sugar is my sweetner of choice.
  • sarahwilson12
    sarahwilson12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

This. I can't even finish an entire can of diet pop because of the aspartame in it.

Even gum with too much aspartame is a pain. I have to sift through a bunch of different brands to find the one with the least aspartame per piece. My current favourite is Trident Tropical Twist... it's not too bad when it comes to how much aspartame is in it.