Cheat days during maintnance ?

Options
Tanie98
Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
edited May 2019 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I haven't reached my goal weight yet but when I do. I'd like one days were I'm going to eat whatever I want without logging in and watch portion sizes and eat what I want . Then go back on track. would once a month add up overtime?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    In maintenance, you need to hit your calorie goal on average. This can mean being over it sometimes and under it sometimes, as long as on average you are taking in as many calories as your body burns.

If you go so far overboard that your calorie intake is no longer balancing out, then yes, over time your weight will slowly creep up.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I just took a week off from logging for a mental break. Most of the week I ate whatever. Even on Friday--I ate out for two meals and had drinks, but realistically it was still probably no more than 2500 calories all told, just bunched up into two portions and some alcohol calories, so I shouldn't gain from it. My body is more used to listening to cues now. I ordered a burger and fries on that Friday but couldn't finish the fries. I had a small portion of haggis for dinner (Scotland, hey), and didn't need dessert, though I nicked a bite of my friend's sticky toffee pudding.
  • 425Recess
    425Recess Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have been at my maintenance weight for over 8 years now. I am very stable. Rarely go over or under my goal by more than 2 lbs. I find I have to take a break now and then. It helps all the rest of the days when I know that I can take a day off. I usually reserve them for special occasions such as birthdays and holidays. Also, at this point, I can't go crazy or I will feel sick. The funny part is that if I weigh myself the next day, my weight is usually down a tad. Doesn't mean anything, just strange.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm not in maintenance yet but when I am I plan on planning for those days, they probably won't happen as often as once a month though. My plan will be to set myself to a slight deficit for a week before and after a blowout day like my birthday or Christmas.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I started at 240 lbs in 2007, hit goal (170) around 2010 & have been in maintenance ever since.
    I haven't been perfect, I've bounced between 165 - 185 for the better part of a decade, but when I'm most successful (over 175 is what I call "the jiggle zone" - if I get over that, it's time to tighten **** up) is I have a cheat MEAL. Not a cheat DAY. Cheat days can take 2 weeks to recover from....and often lead to cheat WEEKS.
    However, a cheat meal is very satisfying and doesn't derail things.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Everyone does maintenance in a way that works for them. For me, almost 5 years into maintenance,"cheat days" don't work. First of all, the concept of "cheat" is negative. I think "treat" is more like it, i.e., building into your maintenance plan things or meals that you want to have and being responsible about having them and then moving on. I think this is pretty much what others are saying. Secondly, a whole day of treats is a slippery slope for me ... it could continue into other days, other weeks, other pounds. I work in a treat for me every day ... if I know I'm going to have a treat meal, then I plan ahead or I adjust the next few days after that meal. But the term "cheat" signals to me (and just to me, I'm sure) deprivation, and I think maintenance is about living your life with food in such a way that you don't feel deprived and you do feel in control.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for about 2.5 months, and I do have "cheat days/meals" usually once a week.. I don't go crazy, but I do eat things I normally wouldn't while logging and I don't log them. It hasn't affected me at all. I go back to it the next day and so far my weekly weigh-in's have all been in my maintenance range. So it can be done.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Like every one else is saying cheat meal. When I let my cheat meal go into more than 2 days, I get off track and I am eating at McDonalds twice a week.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Have whatever I want or crave , every Sunday and Saturdays a higher calorie day as well. My weight is always up a few pounds Monday and Tuesday-But right back to normal after. Been in maintenance many years.80/20 works for me. M-F I bank cals for weekend. Keeps me sane and do not consider it cheat, Its just what works for me and keeps me on track.