CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Turtle

FLYING turtle!

i-wanna-fly-too.gif
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    So once a upon a time I went on vacation to Florida to visit my folks. Back in Nebraska, my wife, who was my fiance at the time, got a dog. Not just any kind of dog, a chihuahua. She knew I didn't like little dogs but wanted a big one. She knew I didn't like chihuahua's as a breed.

I was pissed. We weren't living together, and I didn't want this little yip yip dog I was inheriting. All I could think was I'm have to listen to the little Fu&*er yip her head off for the next 20 years.

Well, fast forward to today, and I get to smile everyday I come home because little Lucy is at the top of the stairs with her little tail wagging ready to roll on her back for a belly rub. In fact, my favorite thing to do in the morning is cradle her like a baby b/c she is still tired and its funny to watch her to try to stay and awake but fall back asleep.

One day I was bored and made a little parody rap song called "Puppies paradise" by Goosio (Goose is her nickname)

I won't give the moral of the story, but let you draw whatever you want from it.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I have been on your husband's side of this debate multiple times in our marriage. Several times, I gave in and let my husband get a dog. It was always a nightmare, and for all the reasons you list. Small yard, we weren't home enough (especially, he was gone a lot), I was worried (justifiably) about how the dog would be with our cat, etc.

Dogs take a lot of time and attention, far more than a cat. Puppies take about 10x that. Cats rarely get anxiety and tear apart the house, chew up your shoes or other possessions, jump on people, etc. You can leave a cat for a weekend with some extra food and water, or a week with someone to stop in every few days. Dogs needs someone there every single day. Until you and your husband are ready to give a dog the time and attention it needs, just don't.

I'd better add that I'm not a dog hater. When I was ready for a dog, and had the biggest choice in the dog we got, it ended up being wonderful. But it wasn't until I was ready and willing to take on the responsibility of a dog that it would work, and I wouldn't trade my pup for anything.
  • Darcyw4
    Darcyw4 Posts: 44
    Options
    I usually dont post on these things but this one I just have to. I have 6 dogs and they are my babies and a HUGE part of our lives. We have fostered a few dogs, worked for local rescues and have picked up strays on the side of the road. I do what I can to save animals that have been neglected and left behind not understanding why they were dumped. I beg you OP, please dont get a dog. Keep loving your cat and spoiling him/her but please dont get a dog. Dont make someone like me rescue the dog that you thought you wanted. I am a huge advocate for adopting a shelter pet - YES ADOPT DONT SHOP but if you arent 100% sure that you want a dog (both you and your husband), then for sure dont adopt. No animal deserves to be taken out of a shelter just to be put back in it or have a life in a kennel (which I am a huge fan of, by the way for those of you saying no to kennels. in my house they are referred to as "big boy and big girl beds"). If you do want to be around dogs - see if your local shelter needs any volunteers. Take a dog that likes to run along with you and give him/her some bonding time with a person. Help get a dog socialized so they can find their forever home. And as for breed - I am a firm believer (not saying this is fact) that all breeds are trainable and socialable. No breed is bad (Pitt Bulls for example are GREAT dogs) - it all falls in the hands of the person raising him/her and training them how they want them to be. it isnt fair that some catagorize Rotties as 'unfriendly' when they are very social little butterflies who love their families very much. All of my little furbabies are mixed breeds (mutts) and they are wonderful! :)
  • mander8282
    mander8282 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to all of your replies, your insight is much appreciated. I have considered volunteering at the local shelter. My hubby says that way i can pick up all the poop i want :) lol.....I really liked the flying turtle and the little yip yip dog that ended up being loved in the end :):happy:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to all of your replies, your insight is much appreciated. I have considered volunteering at the local shelter. My hubby says that way i can pick up all the poop i want :) lol.....I really liked the flying turtle and the little yip yip dog that ended up being loved in the end :):happy:

Ok, that makes me very happy!!! :heart:

Also, you might consider fostering, then you don't have the dogs long-term, just until they get adopted. A lot of people tell me they wouldn't be able to give the dog up, but you have to think of it as petsitting for a friend, because your friends aren't going to let you keep their dog! :smile: Also, whether you adopt one or foster one, you still save one. :flowerforyou:
  • BaggioTX
    Options
    I think that first of all - if you don't want a dog…don't get one!! If you resist his existence in the first place, it's almost impossible to live with him…I mean, he is gonna be in your lives for a good decade and a half - that is a l-oooooo-ng time to be with anyone. So, I think it's important to come to a consensus with your husband on this.

Second of all, I don't think that the size of the dog should matter! We live in a really small apartment in a city, and yet we have a pretty large Golden Retriever in the house. Again, if you really want a dog, you'll come up with creative solutions to accommodate for the fact that there's a large dog in the house…and he needs some serious space!!

Last but not least, I also think that you do have to let your dog go through proper training…should you decide to get a puppy…especially if your'e concerned about issues with barking, house training, chewing, biting, etc. I have a website on dog training if you're interested: http://dogtrainingkingdom.net/.

Good luck and hope you'll come to a resolution!

Cheers,
    Baggio
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have a shiba inu, DO NOT DO IT AS YOUR FIRST DOG!! this is a very challenging dog and will create rifts in the house because it is that challenging. I say create rifts because my husband is a sucker for my dogs little pitty me face and will let him get away with ANYTHING! Which is not good for this breed. It needs to be constantly put in its place. It needs a very FIRM hand. I don't mean beating or anything like that but you will constantly have to keep on it with its commands or 2 days later the dog will try to act like it doesn't know what your talking about LOL. Or with my husband it will snap at him and try to act like alpha dog and he gets so mad because he never does it to me and all I can say is " well keep letting him tear the hamper basket up and never telling him to sit down and let you get out the door before him and then see how much worse it gets." Then they shed like no tomorrow because they have a double coat. They are very CUTE and look like little Foxes. But they are TERRORS on 4 legs LOL. I was a stupid dog looker, I ended up getting Reu because he looked like such a fox and was odd balled in his color for his breed. ($600 buck from Missouri to Maine) and I love him but still honestly wish I never became his owner. Not because I hate him, just because I feel like I can be better with him sometimes but honestly don't know how!!! I tell my husband all the time that I should have had a kid with how much I have to puppy proof my house with my dog and he is 6 years old now!! They are not very affectionate dogs. My dog gets so pissy when I try to baby snuggle him and will growl and try to nip at me to let me know he doesn't want the love LOL. They will run away if let lose or make an escape and will not come back when called ( my dog has gone through two obedience classes and agility and still will not come when called) this is how the breed is and always will be. You may get some obedience of being called back with a zap collar but I have not tried it and never will. If you want a dog that is loving and chills out with you and just is super excited to see you all the time and doesn't cause too many issues when you are away or at home get a Dachshund. A Dachshund is a great time, first dog to own. Can't mess up too much with them ( unless you don't correct them for bad behavior, then you have a yippy snappy dog) but they are easy to potty train and the one I had didn't damage anything but his toys.

Just think on this a great deal! this is like having a kid. They need vet care, food, toys, shampoo, flea treatment and etc !! I mean my dog is on a special food because he is allergic to the crap you can get at wal-mart. He is also super allergic to fleas and breaks out in hives and gets all red on his little tummy.

Just please think long and hard on this, this is an animal for life. I would suggest going to a shelter. they have tons of puppies and bigger dogs that love cats and don't mess around with them. My husband got a pitbul before I met him who loved dogs and cats and would sleep with them and snuggle. So there are dogs in the shelter you can save. My next dog ( if I ever decide after my Reu giving me grey hair LOL) is going to be from a shelter. I can honestly say I was ignorant when I paid $600 for Reu when I could have saved a life in a shelter for nothing more than $200.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    1st doesnt sounds like you have the time to deal with another dog and you two need to be on the same page, which you arent.
    I have a Shiba Inu and they are stubborn dogs. very tough to train.
    When you get a dog, you want to make sure you get the right breed for your lifestyle. If you choose the wrong breed, youll either end up miserable or surrending the dog.
    Also, consider adoption over buying. So many dogs need to be adopted.

Another shiba inu owner :laugh: :happy: Listen to him, he knows the truth about shiba inu's like I do as well
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Definitely not!!
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    getting a dog because you want a dog and both work full time is egoistic. not in the sense of the dog. thats why I have cats. Im a dog lover but just doesnt work. the end.