How the *KITTEN* did I gain 14lbs w/o noticing ???!

Options
I don’t have a lot of data about my weight over the last 15 years (when I gained about 40 or 50 lbs or 60 lbs). I basically never weighed myself. (For info, I am 41 years old, female and 5’8”).

I started weighing myself in January this year (about 203 lbs) and then in March (when I started seriously trying to lose weight) I was about 200 lbs. Today I was 182 lbs! (Great, right!)

Anyways, I just found my weight out from a (not related to weight) study I participated in 2016 & 2018. In 2016 I weighed 187 lbs and in 2018 I was 201 lbs. that’s a 14 lb difference!

The thing is - I’ve sort of assumed I’ve been about the same weight give or take a few pounds for the last several years - at least since having my daughter in December 2014. I had NO IDEA that I had gained 14 lbs. my clothes didn’t feel tighter - I didn’t notice I looked bigger. I knew I was eating too much but I didn’t think it was more than my usual eating too much, if that makes sense. I just felt the same - too heavy.

Is this normal? Not to notice such a big weight gain? Its worrying - if I hadn’t started to weigh myself I guess it could have just kept creeping up more and more and more.

Replies

• mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Not to be crude but did the study weigh you each time naked? If not, the difference in clothing weight could explain a fair amount of it.

No definitely not - they weighed me at home on a scale they brought, whatever clothes I was wearing that day. (It was a sleep study for one of my kids - they weighed him too!). But yes I guess that could account for a tiny bit of the difference but not much
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Not to be crude but did the study weigh you each time naked? If not, the difference in clothing weight could explain a fair amount of it.

No definitely not - they weighed me at home on a scale they brought, whatever clothes I was wearing that day. (It was a sleep study for one of my kids - they weighed him too!). But yes I guess that could account for a tiny bit of the difference but not much

It could easily account for 3 to 4 pounds.

Another thing is that you might have been at the higher part of your weight range on one weighing and the lower part on the other which could account for another 5 of just water weight difference. We don't have one static weight because our bodies are taking in food and water and expelling feces and urine. On some days the amount of weight that exits pretty closely matches what we take in but on others it does not. Time of month, higher sodium foods, travel, constipation, stress, and many other things can lead to us being on the higher side.

I am not saying that actual fat weight is not a factor but it may not be as you think. Of course, this is just speculation since there is no way to know.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello OP, I am a couple of inches shorter than you and I didnt notice losing a stone and I didnt notice gaining a stone (and its friends) either until I went up a size. Do you carry your weight all over rather than in one particular spot ? I carry it all over so I am a good 1 and 1/2 to 2 stone between sizes. My weight comes off proportionally over my whole body as well so I never get to do any of those fab stat announcements like 'I lost 2 inches off my waist in a fortnight !!'.

I've am losing weight now and give myself a monthly BG and BP check as well as weekly weight and measurements stats. I am going to commit to conintuing the practice moving forward.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'll tell you how I gained weight and didn't notice. I did it over a few years. If you're like I was, you might already wear slightly loose clothing anyway, so it takes a while before you notice anything fits differently. When you gain weight slowly, your clothes also slowly start to stretch with you. That makes it even harder to notice any changes.

Don't beat yourself up over what the study said your weight was in 2016 compared to 2018. Even though it said 187 then, it says 182 now. YAY you! *applause*
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You are tall, 5'8". That is how you didn't notice in your clothes. That and it happened over time.

I'm 5'0", 14lbs could be a clothing size or two. I'd notice the change in my clothes.