First rainy half marathon: what to pack? What to do?

Options
Morning y'all,

My 7th half marathon is this weekend. It.is.going.to.rain all weekend. It is mostly paved but a little off road.

This is my first wash out race in 10 years of running. What should I pack that I don't normally? Should I even wear my running shoes to the start or wear other shoes to avoid soggy shoes as long as possible?

Should i talk myself into expecting a slower pace? Talk me through this please.

Replies

• emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I’m following because I’m going to be running a rainy half of Saturday. It’s also my first half!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Can you get yourself a jacket from a charity shop that you could throw away once you start? Or a black bin bag with holes for head and arms, again to be thrown away on start line.
    Wear your normal runners but put plastic bags over them until you're ready to start.
    Vaseline, bodyglide, or similar, coat your feet in it before you put your socks on

I wear my usual kit no matter what the weather, shorts, vest top (compression top underneath to stop chafing), compression socks and buff. I've run like that in rain, wind, hail, snow and blazing sunshine. There comes a point when your clothes can't get any wetter, and I've literally been able to wring my socks out at the end of an 18 miler before, but it was one of the most fun runs I've had. There comes a point where you're so wet anyway that you can't help but embrace your inner Peppa Pig and jump in all the puddles
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    trash bag with holes cut in it to keep you dry; put a pair of dry socks/shoes in your morning bag (if they have one) - so you can change as soon as you get done;

is it going to be warm/rain; or cold/rain?
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm British, I know all about running in the rain :smile:

1) throwaway raincoat/poncho for the start - got to stay warm. Consider how you are going to keep your socks dry before the start (is there a sheltered area? can you grab some overboots from the local swimming pool?)
    2) a peaked running cap - it's so much easier to run in the rain when it's not in your eyes!
    3) wet clothes chafe more than dry. Go heavy on the Glide and/or wear a thin baselayer
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Is it going to be cold, or just wet? If it's going to be just wet you'll want
    a rain poncho or jacket that you can toss when you get too hot or it stops raining
    a brimmed hat or visor to keep the rain out of your eyes

If it's going to be cold too you'll want
    layers you can remove as you warm up
    possibly gloves (my hands get cold and my fingers turn blue at about 50*f)
    possibly ear warmers if your ears get cold.

In October I did a marathon that started at 24*f. The night before I went to the thrift store and bought sweat pants and a sweat shirt to wear at the start. By mile 4 I was shedding the extra layers.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    How bad will it be? Light drizzle or borderline monsoon?

No need for a consciously slower pace unless you feel the conditions battling you (e.g., constant wind in the face). Outside of that, just run your race. Weather is one of the reasons that not every race will be a PR but no need to concede that until the end.

For shoes I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's raining hard enough to worry about wearing your shoes before the race they're going to be saturated by the first mile anyway. Maybe just add some preemptive blister protection if you think your wet socks might not play nicely with your shoes.

Poncho or windbreaker is always nice if wind will be an issue. And it might sound odd but wear your sunglasses no matter what...they'll protect against driving rain if wind blows it into your face. A hat with a brim is nice too to keep water off your noggin and I like the silky tech clothes in wet conditions because they won't rub as much.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My top tip - have a bag in the car, at the bag drop, with obliging friend. This should contain towel, dry warm clothes, and dry socks/ shoes.

I am often very muddy at the end of long trail runs here in the UK, and although I can cope during it, afterward it makes life much more comfortable.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So much great info here. So appreciative. Itll be coolish- 65 and we start around 730 a.m.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    65 is actually quite warm for a race. You'll be fine in a singlet and shorts.