Diet pop

Options
I stopped drinking sugar pop and went to diet pop. I know it has aspartame but is that better then the non diet pops. I know both are most likely bad but baby steps. How much diet pop is too much because of the aspartame. I have 2 355ml cans daily.

Thanks

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking sugar pop and went to diet pop. I know it has aspartame but is that better then the non diet pops. I know both are most likely bad but baby steps. How much diet pop is too much because of the aspartame. I have 2 355ml cans daily.

Thanks

I switched from regular to diet 7 years ago, when I started my weight loss phase. Since then I've drank 2-4+ cans of diet soda a day. I haven't grown a tail yet :#

I'm actually cutting it out right now, in large part to save some money (I was a Coke brand snob, lol), but I'm still using artificial sweetener in my coffee and in my flavored water enhancers. I actually bought sweet pickles today that are sweetened with Splenda, really good tasting!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    The idea that the mainstream stevia based sodas are "all natural" strikes me as mostly marketing, for what most people might assume when seeing the phrase "all natural". It's not powdered stevia leaves in there. ;) Quoting Wikipedia's Stevia article:
    Rebaudioside A has the least bitterness of all the steviol glycosides in the Stevia rebaudiana plant. To produce rebaudioside A commercially, stevia plants are dried and subjected to a water extraction process. This crude extract contains about 50% rebaudioside A. The various glycosides are separated and purified via crystallization techniques, typically using ethanol or methanol as solvent.

Stevia extracts and derivatives are produced industrially and marketed under different trade names.

* Rebiana is an abbreviated name for the stevia extract, rebaudioside A.
    * Truvia is the brand for an erythritol and rebiana sweetener concoction manufactured by Cargill and developed jointly with the Coca-Cola Company.
    * PureVia is PepsiCo's brand of rebiana.

I'm not asserting that these stevia-based sweeteners are bad or unhealthy or that people shouldn't drink the sodas that contain them. I don't think there's anything evil about "processing". I'm just saying that the "all natural" marketing . . . well, it seems like a stretch, to me. The initial chemical input to the industrial process came from a plant, that's it. Not that different from table sugar, in that respect. Just fewer calories - which can be helpful.