What helped you stick with it?

Options
I have been overweight for most of my life. I have started fitness programs (running, various Beachbody workouts, walking, HIIT) and have worked on healthy eating about 5000 times in the past 20 years. I always give up! Even when I am losing weight! I have no idea what my problem is. What helps you to stick with your weight loss and fitness goals?

Replies

• collteach328
    collteach328 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think one of my issues is that I beat myself up when I slip up and have an off-day. Then, it becomes an off-week, etc.

I also start really trying to focus on making changes at the worst time. So, this time around, I’m starting with tracking since it’s a terrible time to make a lot of changes. I am moving from Japan back to the US in 6 weeks. My husband already returned to the US, so I’m finishing out the school year and then my kids and I are moving back. Stress is high, so I feel like if I’m tracking and trying to stay within my goals for most days, I will be happy. I’m taking the stairs at work as much as possible and moving more during the day, but I will focus on finding exercise that I enjoy when I move.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think one of my issues is that I beat myself up when I slip up and have an off-day. Then, it becomes an off-week, etc.

You could call it beating yourself up or you could say you give yourself permission, then feel guilty. Guilt is definitely over-rated.

I stuck with it when losing the weight became important enough to me. Going off-plan for a day or two is normal. Staying off-plan is self-destructive and may require deeper thought.

If you are over-eating on some days it's possible you are over-restricting on the rest of them. Setting a Goal that is too low will cause you to over-eat after a few days. It's just how the body works.

You don't give us much to go on.

Could you go to FOOD > Settings and scroll down and open your food page to "Public"? Then we have more to work with.

How much weight do you need to lose to be in a healthy BMI range? BMI Calculator
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Tracking is the key for me, even when over calories. I also go over calories about once or twice a week in order to fit foods in that I really enjoy. Podacasts have helped immensely to keep me in the right mindset. I consistently listen to “Half Size Me” and “WhysAdvice” (FatDag).

Focus on the food first and keep your goals small. Goal 1 could be tracking your food every day this week without regard for being over or under calories. Once you are tracking regularly, look for small changes to make instead of trying to change everything at once. Be kind to yourself. You deserve to treat yourself well.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Usually, people who can never stick to their plan are picking plans that are unnecessarily difficult. :smile:

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. All the other stuff might have its benefits, but the calories are the key. I eat mostly the same foods I always ate, just different amounts or frequency. I have macro goals, but I don't sweat them. I accepted that really slow loss over the long term was better than no loss because of falling off course and gaining it back.

And I was always well aware that I was incapable of perfection :lol: People who succeed have bad days all the time, they just accept them as being an expected part of real life, shrug them off, and do better tomorrow.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum - lots of great info there!
  • collteach328
    collteach328 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I will open up my food diary, but it’s been awhile since I’ve been consistent with tracking. I started today...even though I had a lot of
    Biscoff cookies with my coffee this morning instead of a proper breakfast. It is helpful just to see what endulging does to the daily numbers.

I feel like I know what I need to be doing, but I just do not follow what I know to be best. I definitely overcomplicate things and worry so much about getting the “right” foods that it becomes a chore and it is so easy to throw it all out the window when life gets crazy. So my goal for this week is to track. Yes, I want to make good choices, but I’m not going to stop tracking just because I opted for
    something that isn’t the healthiest. I am also going to start working on portion sizes, because I think that is one problem I have with favorite foods.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. It helps to hear ideas from people who have been where I am and made it through!