Running with a weighted vest

Options
ca_josh
ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
Are there any other runners that use weighted vests to increase strength for 5k runs? I’ve tried squatting to build leg strength but I find that they burn my quads out for almost a week and I hate squats.

Advice and thoughts requested.

j7p2qxv0jc6j.png

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My pt occasionally gets me to use one for sprint training. Really makes it hard work, but then when it comes off I feel like I'm flying.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few people who do this and not just endurance runners. Nice work! Running is hard enough for me, I’m just happy to be finding it easier now I’m at goal weights vs he extra 1st I was carrying along with me in January!
  • ca_josh
    Options
    Thank you! 👍💪
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Consider hills.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Consider hills.

Hills. All the hills. And cross training- stair climber and plyometric stuff.
  • ca_josh
    Options
    Okay. I have a very challenging hill near my place. I will try to intensify my runs while climbing it. Thank you! 🙏👍💪
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    Try a Sprint 8 workout.

8 rounds of 30 seconds hill sprint near max to max effort with 90 seconds walking down the hill recovery. Trust me, you’ll need all those 90 seconds. Warm up, of course, first.

Once or twice a week. It’s 20 minutes with a 2 minutes warmup and 2 minutes cool down.
  • ca_josh
    Options
    Hill sprints today. Thanks for the advice.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I like the weighed vest idea but a buddy of mine uses one and he runs 100 mile ultras so who am I to judge? I agree with the hills - This is a great way to increase leg strength.

FWIW - I have my own weighted vest that I will be taking off .5 pounds per week over the next couple months. Hopefully that makes me feel like I'm flying too. :D
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    I think a weighted vest for walking in a great idea.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Does it count to put enough in my pack to make sure I have everything I need for the day? (That includes a lot more than it does for most people because of the medical supplies I carry.)
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I wear mine everyday on the treadmill. I have it at 25 -30 lbs. It's hard to believe how heavy it seems since I carried almost 100 pounds extra weight for decades.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Running with my knees is out but I walk with a weighted vest with no issues.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I would wager that unless you need to train to carry a lot of gear on the go (e.g., military), then hills or interval work would be safer and more effective at building speed. The benefits of a weighted vest are pretty clear, but it would put an 'unnatural' stress on your body given that slow endurance running isn't a totally athletic endeavor (and thus your body's biomechanics aren't really geared to deal with extra load as they are when sprinting).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What are the reasons for doing this—either walking or running?

Increase strength? Won’t really happen with a vest.

Increase aerobic intensity? Effect is minimal for walking/running. Can achieve similar (or better) results by either running faster, going up hills, increased arm swing (walking), and have some artificial appliance messing with gait, center of gravity, etc.

There are plenty of good reasons to wear a vest during circuit training, plyos, etc—but don’t see the benefit for walking or running.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    What are the reasons for doing this—either walking or running?

Increase strength? Won’t really happen with a vest.

Increase aerobic intensity? Effect is minimal for walking/running. Can achieve similar (or better) results by either running faster, going up hills, increased arm swing (walking), and have some artificial appliance messing with gait, center of gravity, etc.

There are plenty of good reasons to wear a vest during circuit training, plyos, etc—but don’t see the benefit for walking or running.

Increased weight definitely makes walking/running more difficult. It is no accident that backpackers try to go as light as possible. I've once had a very long backcountry trip planned and packed for cold/snowy conditions. With 60+ lbs. going nearly 20 miles and 4K ft. of elevation gain in a day, I can personally attest that added weight is not a minimal effect.

Additionally, extra weight increases calorie burn.