Running and work schedule

clicketykeys
clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
I'm a teacher, and over the summer I work at an amusement park. This job has me on me feet nearly all day, and the shifts are long - 10-12 hours. I plan to work Wednesdays (9:30-7), Fridays (9:30-10p) and Saturdays (9:30-10p). I put in around 20k steps on a Wednesday shift and 25-30k steps on a Friday/Saturday.

I started running again in February after an injury last fall, and I just started StrongLifts. One of the reasons I have this summer work schedule is that I will have access to the school gym Monday/Tuesday/Thursday. My idea is that I'll go in, warm up on the treadmill, do my lifting, and then follow up with a treadmill run, but not push for as much distance as I've been getting (I'm up to 7 miles on my weekly long run). I was thinking 2.5 miles on Monday and Thursday, and 5 miles on Tuesday. Sunday would be my rest day.

I'll definitely be paying attention to my body, because I want to avoid injury or overtraining, but is there anything else that I should consider as I'm planning things out ahead of time? Is this completely unreasonable?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,674 Member
    What is your goal for the running? If you hope to improve, 10 miles a week won't help much. I'm not sure you can even maintain your current fitness with that. If you just want a few extra calories, then it's fine.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    For the summer, it's to try to maintain fitness without exhausting or injuring myself. This will be for about two months; in August (when I go back to teaching) I hope to go back to the schedule I'm using now, which is lifting M/W/F and running Sun/Tue/Th.

I don't have anything AGAINST adding distance over the summer - I just thought it might be riskier given how much walking I'll be doing on my non-exercise days.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Depending on how much you're lifting, your running might suffer anyway. Running after heavy lifting is already difficult, and you are adding a more physical job as well.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    If I had a standing job I might not run. There's always cycling, swimming, etc. Something that doesn't add too many steps to the day. You need to recover.