Options
2»

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    44 here and nope it hasn't been harder.

In fact I think I'm doing it easier this time around compared to the last time I successfully dropped significant digits in my early 30's. I think I'm a bit wiser now.

Well, let me qualify that slightly. Losing weight hasn't been harder that I've noticed but I struggled a little to start exercising and getting active again. Getting the joints moving and muscles going took a little bit longer this time =)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Failed to lose in my 30's and 40's, successful in my 50's.

Some of it was better tools and information making it easier but by far the biggest factor was that was simply ready in my 50's to finally take responsibility for how much food I put in my mouth - that's not an age related factor.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight in 2013, the year I turned 50.

was not hard - simply followed MFP amounts like everyone else and lo and behold 10 months later reached my goal weight.

PS I know title means experiences of losing weight after 40 years old - but I read it as losing weight after 40 experiences - and I thought gee, 40 experiences, that is a lot of different experiences before you find the right way :D;)
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    74. Lost 50+ pounds in 6 months. In maintenance for 23 months. I do not think that age, per se, is really an issue. Keys for me ... Eating well, exercising daily, logging, and paying attention to sleep.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Failed to lose in my 30's and 40's, successful in my 50's.

Some of it was better tools and information making it easier but by far the biggest factor was that was simply ready in my 50's to finally take responsibility for how much food I put in my mouth - that's not an age related factor.

Yep.

When I decided to switch directions I was almost 54. At 56, I'm about 45 pounds down. I can lift more than I ever could when I was young. I can stop at a playground and knock out 10 chin ups any time. Most of my life I could usually do about zero, even when I was a normal weight. Just learned how much I should be eating and how to (generally) eat the macro ratios I wanted and got addicted to physical improvement. The physical improvement is something I'm very happy with. And because I did not choose an unrealistic timeline for that, I'm gratified whenever there is noticeable improvement in any of those areas.

I did not find losing weight particularly hard because of age. I think the effort is whatever it is. I can't relate it to whatever the effort might have been when I was younger.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Technically it's no harder now than it was "then." Biggest issues for me to learn to overcome/work with/understand is that my TDEE has dropped significantly from my 20's to my 40's, simply due to things like having a desk job now (instead of active jobs). hobbies that are more of a weekend rather than several nights a week+weekends activity, more eating out (mom ain't cooking for me anymore LOL), and having to make time for activity and working out rather than it being a natural part of my day.

Overall what this means is I have to learn to eat less - which I do not find "easy" to do. It's easy in theory, not in reality. I don't cope well with being hungry, and an appreciable loss means I'm going to be hungry - a lot. So, I try to find a happy middle, with a slower loss, but something that doesn't leave me miserable.

Part of me really wishes I could be happier being at a steeper deficit, but I've tried that before, and it has never stuck. The slow-loss method has stuck, it's just slow....
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I've had greater success in losing weight and maintaining weight loss over the age of 50 than I ever had earlier in my life. An online database and a way to store for future use database entries, meals, and recipes has made calorie counting so much easier than the days when I had to rely on a little book of calorie information.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Why would weight loss be different after 40?