Thank you MFP Community

Options
liz0269
liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
I haven't started a thread on here before but I have read a lot of the collective wisdom on here and it has changed me.

I used to be someone who poo-pooed diets. I was always thin until I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2009. That led to a 30 pound weight gain until I discovered that I was gluten intolerant in 2011 when I spontaneously lost the 30 pounds in three months. It had to be inflammation. Anyway, that led me to investigating diet in general to treat my RA. That led to several years of research and experiments with paleo, vegan, keto, HCLF, and others. I discovered a few more food sensitivities along the way - dairy, soy, legumes, oats, and eggs. This resolved intestinal issues that had plagued me for decades. I have also learned that I do not tolerate low carb at all. And my body doesn't like fasting at all. And it left me absolutely baffled about what to eat. I have sat in tears more than once because of information overload.

In 2013 I quit smoking which led to a 60 pound weight gain in a year. For the first time in my life, I wasn't just overweight. I was obese.

I have been fighting my weight but it felt very much out of my control. The media didn't help with the negative reporting making it sound like you can't lose weight because of broken metabolism and set point, etc. etc.

I came here eating HCLF or trying to, anyway. I would beat myself up because I was failing repeatedly for several months.

Here's what I have learned.
1. I can successfully lose the weight. It may take awhile but I can do it.
2. I can learn, through tracking, how many calories my body burns in a day and adjust what I eat accordingly. It's not something mystical outside of my control. It's science.
3. It doesn't matter what my macros are.
4. There are no forbidden foods. There is room for a little junk in a healthy diet.

Through this community, I am making peace with food and with my body. In spite of my RA, I spend two hours a day exercising. I love it. I lift weights, swim, cycle (outdoors), and I am building up to running again.

My journey is just beginning. I have only lost about five pounds but I have also lost a lot of confusion. I have regained the ability to enjoy food again. I don't have to swear off anything. It's okay, once in awhile, to enjoy a burger and tater tots after a two hour bike ride through the country. That was yesterday. I was feeling guilty like I blew my diet. Then I came here and read and I realized it's okay.

I turned 50 a few months ago. I have a two year goal to lose the weight and get fit.

Thank you MFP community for teaching me and setting me free from the mental prison I was in.