Keto buddies

2»

Replies

• disneylvr44
    disneylvr44 Posts: 1 Member
    Starting keto Monday! Taking the weekend to clean out my cupboards and shop to fill them with good foods.
    Any friends, help and recommendations are welcome.
  • katana173
    katana173 Posts: 1 Member
    Very new to Keto. On day five and only lost a pound. Today I just feel bloated and like I am retaining water. I'm discouraged, but do not want to give up. I see so many success stories and I want to be one of them. I'm hoping to lose 30# before the end of the year when I turn 60. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome. Also for when your traveling.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    Feel free to add me. I did Keto for 6 months last year and have been back at it for just over a month and have lost 14lbs so far.
  • simplitherese
    simplitherese Posts: 15 Member
    I have been on Keto for a while and it is a wonderful lifestyle if done correctly. I am a Nutritional Biochemist and quite knowledgeable on the topic. Add me. We can inspire each other
  • JakeGrafton
    JakeGrafton Posts: 2 Member
    I've heard true Keto is less that 10 g of carbs a day.
    The level that you attain ketosis is variable and depends on things like your activity level, carbohydrate consumption, sleep levels, etc. You may reach nutritional ketosis eating 100 grams of carbohydrates or 20 grams/day. It varies among different people. You need to monitor you ketones to know your ketone level.

• JakeGrafton
    JakeGrafton Posts: 2 Member
    pete_75 wrote: »
    I have a big sweet tooth!
    I also was motivated by sugar (and processed foods) and consumed too much prior to realizing the detrimental effects it was having on me (inability to maintain weight, insulin resistance, and cognitive decline) and before going low carb high fat. It took me about 3-4 weeks to overcome the sugar cravings and for the past two years I have had no trouble or cravings. I actually now am averse to the smell of sweet foods like cake and doughnuts and do not miss them at all. I also am now more sensitive to the natural sweetness of foods and do not even use sugar substitutes like I did during the first 4-6 months of starting the low carb high fat lifestyle.
    pete_75 wrote: »
    And I have heard of keto flu.
    You have probably also heard of type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and obesity yet people still advocate the standard American diet. Just saying... All kidding side, the keto flu is avoidable if you increase your intake of sodium since you are excreting much more when you are eating low carb high fat. You should consider incorporate bullion and/or bone broth to help you obtain you sodium needs. This is not intended as medical advice but just what has worked for me when I started LCHF a few years ago.
  • simplitherese
    simplitherese Posts: 15 Member
    I've heard true Keto is less that 10 g of carbs a day.
    The level that you attain ketosis is variable and depends on things like your activity level, carbohydrate consumption, sleep levels, etc. You may reach nutritional ketosis eating 100 grams of carbohydrates or 20 grams/day. It varies among different people. You need to monitor you ketones to know your ketone level.

This is quite true. The general ketosis is 25g a day of net carbs but depending on the person, some may achieve ketosis eating 50g or more. I truly depends on how sensitive your body is to insulin and the glycemic load of your meal.
  • liketoyak
    liketoyak Posts: 170 Member
    I'm new to keto too. I started Monday and am looking forward to this. Please add me if you'd like.
  • Wilburwyc
    Wilburwyc Posts: 1 Member
    New to Keto, you can add me. cheers
  • laney4088
    laney4088 Posts: 51 Member
    What Keto plans are you all following ? I’m eating a lot of protein, watching my carbs. Just wondering us any plan better or easy to maintain? Thanks in advance
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    laney4088 wrote: »
    What Keto plans are you all following ? I’m eating a lot of protein, watching my carbs. Just wondering us any plan better or easy to maintain? Thanks in advance

Low carb, high fat. Today I've got 4% carb, 67% fat, and 18% protein.
  • BeardedTexasHulk
    BeardedTexasHulk Posts: 18 Member
    I've been doing Keto for 5 months. Feel free to send me a request anyone.
  • phoenixnicki
    phoenixnicki Posts: 1 Member
    I am on the first days after being a vegan for 7 years and before that a vegetarian for 15 years. Anyone who has experienced a rash on hands and arms during the transition of food types? It might be because the addition of meats, fish and eggs after decades without. I do have a hard time getting enough protein even 10%, I found I am not a fan of meat so I am planning on doing a mediterranean keto basically adding fish, eggs, and one glass of wine a day. I also had some fruit that I do not want to throw out so my carbs are a little high at the moment 50%, but will be okay soon. Hope to be inspired and would appreciate being added to this group if possible.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    I am on the first days after being a vegan for 7 years and before that a vegetarian for 15 years. Anyone who has experienced a rash on hands and arms during the transition of food types? It might be because the addition of meats, fish and eggs after decades without. I do have a hard time getting enough protein even 10%, I found I am not a fan of meat so I am planning on doing a mediterranean keto basically adding fish, eggs, and one glass of wine a day. I also had some fruit that I do not want to throw out so my carbs are a little high at the moment 50%, but will be okay soon. Hope to be inspired and would appreciate being added to this group if possible.

If you have a hard time eating more protein and are currently around 50% carbs, curious why you chose keto as an eating style to try?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member

Can you add one new protein source at a time, then monitor for a week or so before adding another? Have you been diagnosed as nutritionally deficient in some way at this point, that you're trying to remedy? (I get that your eating is sub-ideal, but I'm asking specifically about whether there are acute medical consequences.) If not seriously deficient, you can gradually transition eating patterns rather than making an abrupt change.

Also, it shouldn't be that difficult to get protein, even without meat/fish/dairy? 10% (of any realistic calorie level, really) is very low! (I'm saying this from the perspective of being 47+ years vegetarian, thin to obese and back to thin again, and now maintaining at BMI 21-point-something while eating 100g+ protein every day.)

Keto is optional for weight loss. If it's hard for you to do keto, why make things hard? Just plain Mediterranean, phasing in new protein sources gradually, could be an option, for example. Or, staying vegan but working on getting more protein, if vegan worked well for you in other respects.

P.S. This is a thread from 2019. There are more recent keto posts around here, I think.