Gaining weight calories

Options
To gain weight would I need 3500 calories for just one day or would I need to eat that amount for a few days consistently

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? If that is the total calories you need to gain then yes you need to eat that amount consistently everyday to gain.
  • megtheeggo
    megtheeggo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Havent weighed myself in a while but last time I was around 45kg and 166cm

• sardelsa
    Options
    Is that what MFP gave you or another calorie calculator?
  • megtheeggo
    megtheeggo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    im just basing it off of internet guidelines x
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Well try it out, track your weight and go from there.
  • GoldenAgeAdmirer
    GoldenAgeAdmirer Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Your initial questions tells me you haven't done anywhere near enough research, and don't even have the beginning of a model that will allow you to achieve your goals.
    To answer your question, yes, at 3500 calories a day, and with your starting stats, you will gain weight. It will mainly be fat though, and you will look like s**t in a few weeks.
    Do some basic research, ask some more questions on here, and create a plan.
    Here's a clue - find out your BMR, and how much over your BMR your daily routine takes you, and how many calories your workout will take you.
    Then find a (ANY) lifting routine, and *stick to it*.
    Then eat a few hundred calories a day over your calculated requirements. If you gain (lean mass) on that, keep going, if you don't add a few hundred more.
    Do this consistently for several *years*, and then you will be ready for some more advanced techniques.
    Good luck! Stick to it! And best wishes....
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Wait OP did you mean 3500 to gain a lb or that is the total amount of surplus a calculator gave you? I didn't find it alarming since that is around my bulking intake! Are you in recovery? If you are working with a treatment team or doctor I would highly recommend you talk to them about your plan.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    megtheeggo wrote: »
    To gain weight would I need 3500 calories for just one day or would I need to eat that amount for a few days consistently

To gain one pound per week, you'd need to eat @ 3500 extra calories per week, or an extra 500 cals per day.

Put your correct stats in to set up your mfp profile, choose your goal to gain 1 lb per week, and mfp will give you a calorie goal to hit.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    When I first started gaining weight I found that in fact I didn't need to eat masses more in order to gain - when I started logging my food it was clear I hadn't been eating enough before!
    Do you know how much you're eating now, on average? As you might find it a struggle to reach 3500 per day. At your starting weight you'll probably gain quickly - you may find it easier to start with a small surplus and build up gradually but it depends on how much you are eating now and how accurately you log your food.
    I also wouldn't be too concerned about "looking like s***" as has been suggested - at your height and weight, you've a long way to go before that happens
  • Jazzyaqua
    Jazzyaqua Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might want to see a doctor to see if there is an underlying condition which is preventing you from digesting or absorbing nutrients properly. If so, they will most likely refer you to a dietician.

**also, you will not look like s**t so please don't be concerned.