Meat and cheese diet

mickp81
mickp81 Posts: 2 Member
So my doc said I should try and stay around 100g carbs. My diet is mostly meat and cheese. Doesn’t seem very healthy, but not sure what else to eat.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    is this since the doctor told you to stay under 100g carb that you started eating mostly meat and cheese or was that what you were eating before?

i mean, there are entire food groups available to you here so not sure where to start. the entire spectrum of vegetables fruit. lots of good grains out there. eggs....
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Is there a particular issue the doctor is advising about?
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    I eat 50g-75g net carbs and have a varied diet full of veggies, meat, seafood, dairy, eggs, some fruit, nuts and seeds and I still have room for some grains, sweet treats, I eat out a couple times a week etc.

OP, is your doctor telling you to only eat meat and cheese? Otherwise you have lots of room with 100g of carbs for a varied and interesting diet.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Leafy greens, green, red and yellow veggies, a couple of servings of grains, a bit of fruit - can all fit within your carb parameters. You might need to branch out a bit :)
  • mickp81
    mickp81 Posts: 2 Member
    I should have given some more info. I’m looking for low or no prep. Also, try as I might, can’t eat raw veggies. Snacks are where I’m struggling the most. I need something I can grab and eat while working at my desk. So far it’s meat sticks, cheese sticks, occasionally some seeds or nuts.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Berries are great. Greek yogurt I eat fage 0%. Whole grain bread. Hard boiled eggs. Whole grain crackers. Bananas. Almonds. A can of tuna fish With fat free mayo. should be very easy to stay under 100g carbs and still get in fiber.

Do you like avocados? Lots of steam fresh frozen veggies those are great. I love riced cauliflower.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    mickp81 wrote: »
    I should have given some more info. I’m looking for low or no prep. Also, try as I might, can’t eat raw veggies. Snacks are where I’m struggling the most. I need something I can grab and eat while working at my desk. So far it’s meat sticks, cheese sticks, occasionally some seeds or nuts.

When I commuted to work, I used to make enough hard boiled eggs on Sundays for snacks during the week.

Nuts and seeds are convenient in the office too, but calorie dense, so be careful ;)

If you want more variety for dinners, but are not much of a cook at the moment, you could get a meal delivery plan that caters to low carb.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    mickp81 wrote: »

Steamers bags of veggies are great-you literally just throw the bag in the microwave and turn it on :) Also, I found a steamer tray at the grocery store-it has has a section to put water in, then a slotted tray that fits over that, along with a lid. You put it in the microwave and it steams veggies in a few minutes. Another easy, minimal fuss way to cook veggies.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Roasted veg really are very low prep -- put in pan, add some olive oil and salt and whatever else you want, roast.

For snacks, other options include cottage cheese and greek yogurt (add some berries to the yogurt, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are quite low carb and it's not hard to stay below 100 g).

How about something like carrots or cucumbers or jicama WITH a dip -- lots of options, such as hummus, baba ganoush, black bean, and of course guacamole.

Back to more meal-like foods, a soup or stew or chili involving meat AND veg can be quite easy to prepare and low carb (and give you those veg).