Dumbbell incline vs Smith machine incline?

AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
I like doing both on the same day but I am thinking it is not optimal.

I try to gain strength every week. The Smith is easier to get stronger as weight increments are not huge with the dumbbells I find I lose lots of strength just setting up.

I use my knees to push up the dumbbells. With Smith it is set up and setting up shoulders is also easier

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2019
    Fine to do both variations; overkill if in the same workout. Yeah, for gauging strength gains/progression, one can not compare the 2 movements equally - you should easily be able to smith machine press way more than you can DB press. Argument for avoiding the smith machine would be the bar path dilemma (more noticeable for flat bench press - slight arch motion followed by vertical line) and lack of building stabilizer muscles. Better abduction with DBs too that you don't get with barbells or smith machine

I don't see the big deal in using a smith machine for this purpose unless you are a powerlifter
  • 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    I am a powerlifter so this might not apply to you. I have to do barbell bench for competition. I use dumbbells for secondary exercise on the same day. But IMHO dumbbells are superior to Smith machine and barbell. Dumbbells are great for your stabilizer muscles and will build the most mass. Smith machine is a very good exercise...but don't do it much because I like barbell and dumbbells. The main thing is what are your goals and what you enjoy the most. What you like doing you stick to it. I have repeated almost everything keto said but from a powerlifter point of view.