Apple Watch

As I do more and more workouts and track them, my watch seems to make more and more time for me to burn calories I feel like I am having to work even harder to get any calories burnt.

It feels like my fitness is going backwards rather than forwards, I know I'm better for it, I can run longer without getting out of breath, I can move and do more activities.

I'm happy to be fit, but I would like more recognition for effort not less. I know I shouldn't rely on my watch to say ive met my goals for today, but mentally a part of me does.

How can I disconnect from that and remind myself its the longterm fitness that mattress more?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2019
    Well from my understanding is that the more out of shape you are the harder the tasks are on your body and as a result it takes more energy to do them. As your body becomes more efficient at the tasks you are presenting it the less energy it will require to do it. Now I could be wrong and this may just be another fitness myth.

Also your weight impacts your calorie expenditure, so if you have lost weight that’s another thing to consider.

Maybe try switching up your routine if you are still wanting to reach that calorie goal.

• Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    I agree with shadow2. The more fit you become burning calories become difficult. You should also notice the same affect with your BPM or HR. You would have to run faster or ride faster to raise the burn level. You have improved and your stats show it. Be happy yet see if you can push more. Also helps if you have a ride buddy/buddies or run partners to gage where you are.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    As you build cardio capacity, your heart rate is likely to be lower with the same routine (I notice this especially with my intervals - I have to up the pace or incline periodically). As AW depends a lot on HR for calorie-counting purposes, it makes sense that your "burn" figures will be less.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    You could try using different ways of tracking your progress. For example, my strength training isn’t exactly burning a ton of calories but I track my progress in how many reps I can do at what weights and keep that to look back on and remind myself there’s improvement. I don’t burn as much running and walking as I used to (I weigh 80lbs less now so it’s because of weight not improved cardiovascular fitness), but I track how far and how fast I can go now and use that as my gauge. There are lots of apps that will track these markers for you and present them in a format that’s easy to understand. You can also use pen and paper. I use apps for my cardio and bodyweight work, but pen and paper for weights. I just like it that way.

Or! You could always just unplug from the numbers entirely other than using them just as the data they are (no emotional connotations required) and acknowledge that your fitness has improved and the tech doesn’t really have a say in that.

It takes me way longer (or just higher intensity in shorter time) to burn 500 calories on my move ring than it did 80lbs ago and I consider it a source of pride that I still surpass that goal daily. That’s a sign you’re working harder now than in the past.