Weights vs cardio

Options
gabbs1258
gabbs1258 Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

Recently I started doing a new thing in the gym. I have about 30kg to loose and I hit a huge plateau with cardio so I’m swtiching from only cardio to strength training for 3 days and HIIT for two days.

Is this a good idea to loose the weight faster? How fast have you seen results from lifting?

The workouts themselves are intense, lifting heavy not using the cutesy pink dumbells.

Thanks for reading and good luck with your journey to all ☺️

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is related to energy balance ie consuming fewer calories than you expend. Are you accurately measuring and logging what you eat? Are you using reasonable estimates of the calories expended during exercise?

If your goal is primarily weight loss (I would never dissuade anyone from strength training) you should be aware that you expend relatively few calories lifting weights compared to longer steady state cardio workouts, similarly if you're doing real HIIT you tend to expend fewer calories than longer workouts due them being relatively short but intense workouts (you can build tremendous fitness with both).

I'd also share erickirb's concern about recovery. Ideally your workouts between intense strength sessions should be relativity low intensity.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    You should be doing both.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    gabbs1258 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently I started doing a new thing in the gym. I have about 30kg to loose and I hit a huge plateau with cardio so I’m swtiching from only cardio to strength training for 3 days and HIIT for two days.

Is this a good idea to loose the weight faster? How fast have you seen results from lifting?

The workouts themselves are intense, lifting heavy not using the cutesy pink dumbells.

So I am going to hyjack this thread for a min. Maybe someone can help me out.

Muscle burns more calories then Fat does. So its in your best interesting to use the weights.
    But if Muscle burns more than fat, does that mean fat is a living tissue?

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Muscle burns more calories then Fat does. So its in your best interesting to use the weights.

Both are metabolically active. A pound of muscle burns about 6 to 8 calories per hour. A pound of fat burns about 4. It's not a huge net difference.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I weight train 3 days a week and add 20 minutes of interval work (not HIIT - just regular intervals) at the end. On rest days, I walk a few miles each day (low intensity steady state).
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Hi all,

Both are metabolically active. A pound of muscle burns about 6 to 8 calories per hour. A pound of fat burns about 4. It's not a huge net difference.

Meaning if you build 25 pounds of muscle (which is a difficult, life changing achievement) that will get you an extra Oreo per day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Meaning if you build 25 pounds of muscle (which is a difficult, life changing achievement) that will get you an extra Oreo per day.

Pretty much. Of course, there are many other benefits to having more muscle mass. But increased calorie burn isn't a big one.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

The way I look at it if I am 25 lbs heavier, that will affect my overall TDEE, according to calculators when I plugged in the numbers, that adds an extra 200 calories per day. So that's not too shabby!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Hi all,

Pretty much. Of course, there are many other benefits to having more muscle mass. But increased calorie burn isn't a big one.

It's all about the other benefits. Looking better naked beats a whole warehouse full of Oreos!
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I thought I read online that most women will only gain 10-15 pounds of muscle so it's not even an oreo.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    I thought I read online that most women will only gain 10-15 pounds of muscle so it's not even an oreo.

But more muscle means stronger bones; stronger bones and muscles mean staying independent further into old age; stronger bones mean higher odds of avoiding the osteoporosis-induced hip fractures that lead many women to an earlier-than-necessarily decline and death.

Plus it makes a person look cuter.

Either of those is better than an oreo.

I think. (I don't like oreos: De-minted dollar store toothpaste between rounds of brown fiberboard, I swear. And I don't really care if I'm cute: Unlikely at age 63 in any case.)

OP: The PPs are right about HIIT. It's trendy and oversold, besides.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I would keep it simple.

Deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness. No need to over complicate it.

Choose a goal - bigger/stronger, lean/athletic, runner, whatever you like - set a goal per a vetted program and stick to it.

And be patient. The weight loss and fitness improvements take time. You'll get there.