Joints on Fire

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
When I'm done exercise, my elbows and knees are physically very hot to touch. They don't hurt but are clearly a bit swollen. It goes away in an hour or two.

Is that normal? I feel like it's just friction from high speed motion and being out of shape but I don't want to damage anything. Should I be icing them?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced this but then I've never thought to feel my joints to see if they're hot or not!

This is after cardio?

Honestly I'm just bumping your thread, as I don't know the answer.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'd probably go get checked out by a doc - that isn't normal at all
  • Terytha
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've never experienced this but then I've never thought to feel my joints to see if they're hot or not!

This is after cardio?

Honestly I'm just bumping your thread, as I don't know the answer.

Yeah, cardio. It's like dancing, so lots of arm movements and bending of knees. Though my knees usually only heat up after squats.

I probably wouldn't have noticed but I broke my right elbow a couple years ago and I usually do a light massage to keep that joint from stiffening up.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sounds like poor load management.

Maybe back off the frequency, volume, or intensity to the point where your body can tolerate the stress and add the stress appropriately over time.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Is that normal?

No. Even a little overexercising shouldn't do that. Do you have any autoimmune issues?

Since it goes away quickly, i would not ice them.

• Terytha
    Options
    No health issues as far as I know, aside from some asthma.

I had bursitis in my ankles when I was doing martial arts, maybe I just have something similar going on with my other joints. Maybe I'll ask my physiotherapist about it.