Need some feedback from runners on a lower back issue

Options
ElliottTN
ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
So I've never been a runner but lately have been adding some distance in there. Around mile 7-8 my lower back starts cramping like crazy. It's not the full length, more like the sides going inward. It's driving me insane as everything else is good to keep going except my back. I can stretch it a but to make the pain to away but a quarter mile later it just comes on again. My wife who is a marathoner said it was most likely me keeping my shoulders and arms to tense. I've tried letting them loose more but doesn't seem to help so we are out of suggestions. Any other ideas? Poor running form? Shoes maybe? I regularly workout with deadlifts/squats but that's not exactly buikding my back up for endurance of running. Maybe weak lower back then? Any ideas?

Replies

• runninghealthy
    runninghealthy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things it probably could be, but my experience so far has been that, with running, a lot has to do with stride/gait. If you can, go to a running store where they can get you up on a treadmill and film you running. They can play back the video and analyze your stride to see if you're doing anything that could be causing this. It could just be a small thing with how you're landing, or pushing off, that, once the miles add up, is taking its toll on your back.

Good luck with this!