Exercise calories

I beginning this weight loss journey and one of the biggest questions I have is do I use my exercise calories through the day of just stick to the allotted calories I was given?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    if using MFP as intended you are supposed to eat back purposeful exercise calories. You can eat them that day or the next day or save them for a bigger meal on the weekend htat really depends what works best for you. Many look at weekly calorie goals VS daily.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Best way is to experiment and find what works for you.

MFP is designed for you to "eat back" exercise calories but everyone is different and the numbers MFP gives you across the board are general in nature. In order to hone in on what's right for you takes a bit of trial and error and quite a bit of patience.

You've got a calorie target and you've got your exercise categories. To begin with eat back 50% of the extra calories from exercise for about 4 weeks or so. At the end of the 4 weeks take a look at your rate of loss. If you're losing at the rate expected then great! You've found your number. If however you're losing slower than expected, not losing or perhaps gaining a little then you'll need to make an adjustment and eat fewer of your exercise calories. If however you're losing weight quicker than expected you can safely increase the percentage of your exercise calories to feel more satisfied. Then wait 4 more weeks and reassess, then again, and again. Do, check, adjust, do check adjust.