Great movies to check out on food and nutrition

Options
2»

Replies

• ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Typical regurgitated plant based diet bias.............Most of the problems with the general healthy of the nation is mostly from refined grains, sugar, refined vegetable oils and trans fats all which are plant based. Remove the aforementioned ingredients with a change of perspective regarding someones overall health, with improving the quality of their overall diet, which includes animal protein along with exercise is a better fit for most people.......unfortunately this one sided, indoctrination and bias doesn't make much sense when you include science.

I completely agree with your general statement that removing highly processed foods from our diets would bring us much closer to health as a nation, and said as much myself, so I don't know what regurgitated plant-based bias you are referring to. I also agree with you that trans fats are unhealthy, but trans fats do not just come from processed plant-based sources, they also naturally occur in meats.

That said, what have you done? Where is your weight loss ticker? You come at my posts with such hostility when I am backing them up with real results, now I want to hear what you have done.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Typical regurgitated plant based diet bias.............Most of the problems with the general healthy of the nation is mostly from refined grains, sugar, refined vegetable oils and trans fats all which are plant based. Remove the aforementioned ingredients with a change of perspective regarding someones overall health, with improving the quality of their overall diet, which includes animal protein along with exercise is a better fit for most people.......unfortunately this one sided, indoctrination and bias doesn't make much sense when you include science.

I completely agree with your general statement that removing highly processed foods from our diets would bring us much closer to health as a nation, and said as much myself, so I don't know what regurgitated plant-based bias you are referring to. I also agree with you that trans fats are unhealthy, but trans fats do not just come from processed plant-based sources, they also naturally occur in meats.

That said, what have you done? Where is your weight loss ticker? You come at my posts with such hostility when I am backing them up with real results, now I want to hear what you have done.

Well lets see. You basically said that most obese people will never get results because they won't give up meat or cheese, yoy. Then you brought up cholesterol, saturaterd fat and trans fats.......anyone that has done any research know that it's a little more complicated than that and when it is spouted it's generally just the regurgitated nonsense of the 70's and 80's without a proper purposal as to the causative effects......basically people just blabber without any knowledge of the subject whatsoever, much like you have. You propose that reduced heart disease and diabetes can only be achieved with a plant based diet, seriously? Then you compare the plant based diet with the SAD diet, like that's the only other diet on the planet for comparison purposes. As far as the term vegan is concerned, it's horrible reputation has switched to plant based but it seems with the same ol same ol. I'll stop there as far as vegan bias is concerned.

You might, just for the sake of knowing, research how the trans fats in animal products differ from the man made kind. Who knows you may even enlighten other people with actual science.

I'm not hostile, just don't like misinformation regarding any diet, but it seems the plant based diet tends to attract people that seem to believe just about anything, if it just happens to sound legit, which is not the same thing.....the paleo diet is another doozy for misinformation, which coincidentally rave about their new lease on life and swear by it. As far as what I've done.......I could say anything, couldn't I.......I'm bulking right now......is that ok with you? Ad hominem's won't get you the truth by the way, just fuel for you, which is inconsequential to me.:smile:
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Supersize Me!
  • dancinfree
    dancinfree Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I watched the " Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" one on Netflix also, it was very emotional for me. I was amazed at what the gentleman in the film could do with a juice diet. I have also watched a few episodes of the Freaky Eaters show. I know that the fried foods, breads and generally high fat foods I ate got me to my highest weight. And yet I still stuffed my face with them. But I was shocked at the number of people who are genuinely dumbfounded at the calories, fat and sodium content of a plate of french fries a day for 20 years.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well lets see. You basically said that most obese people will never get results because they won't give up meat or cheese, yoy. Then you brought up cholesterol, saturaterd fat and trans fats.......anyone that has done any research know that it's a little more complicated than that and when it is spouted it's generally just the regurgitated nonsense of the 70's and 80's without a proper purposal as to the causative effects......basically people just blabber without any knowledge of the subject whatsoever, much like you have. You propose that reduced heart disease and diabetes can only be achieved with a plant based diet, seriously? Then you compare the plant based diet with the SAD diet, like that's the only other diet on the planet for comparison purposes. As far as the term vegan is concerned, it's horrible reputation has switched to plant based but it seems with the same ol same ol. I'll stop there as far as vegan bias is concerned.

You clearly didn't actually read what I wrote. I said that I do believe that Forks Over Knives is a legitimate source of nutrition information, and used my own incredible results as support for that. I didn't say anything like "obese people will never get results because they won't give up X".

In fact, I tacitly acknowledged that there are other ways to lose weight, see my second post in the thread:
    There are other ways to lose weight, sure. There's also more to lifelong health than maintaining a healthy weight.

There are many different lifestyles out there, some of which are even effective for weight loss.
    You might, just for the sake of knowing, research how the trans fats in animal products differ from the man made kind. Who knows you may even enlighten other people with actual science.

There is undoubtedly at least some truth to that, since they do come from different sources. That said, if you would like to support that claim with some evidence, I would appreciate it.
    I'm not hostile, just don't like misinformation regarding any diet, but it seems the plant based diet tends to attract people that seem to believe just about anything, if it just happens to sound legit, which is not the same thing.....the paleo diet is another doozy for misinformation, which coincidentally rave about their new lease on life and swear by it. As far as what I've done.......I could say anything, couldn't I.......I'm bulking right now......is that ok with you? Ad hominem's won't get you the truth by the way, just fuel for you, which is inconsequential to me.:smile:

You are constantly putting words in my mouth, and assuming things I am not saying. If we are going to continue to have a discussion, you need to read what I am writing, rather than making assumptions and responding to those assumptions.

You look silly lumping the paleo diet (eat like a caveman! but not really) in with the vegan lifestyle. Paleo is a fad diet and veganism is a long-term lifestyle that is very effective for providing adequate nutrition and maintaining health if properly executed. Obesity rates among vegans are remarkably low.

It's true, you could say anything about what you've done, but if you lie about something like that, what are you accomplishing? Instead, you haven't really said anything.

I'd be more than happy to have a real discussion with you about the relative merits of various approaches, but all you have done so far is attack things that I am not even saying. You aren't even telling us what you believe is a better lifestyle. When you are ready to have a two-way conversation, let me know.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Are there really that many people who think "forks over knives" is a legitimately good and trustworthy source of information on proper nutrition???
    Cha-cha-cha-china study! Yep, legit science.