Arc Trainer Use/Success?

I've just recently started using the Arc Trainer at my gym... I typically use the treadmill and a kickboxing class for cardio but someone recommended the Arc Trainer.

Curious to know how you like it, any results you've had from it (leg shaping, weight loss, etc), but mostly would like to know how long you use it and the resistance setting you use.

Thanks much!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    @estherdragonbat - Don't you use one of these?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    No, sorry; I use a Gazelle Edge glider.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited May 2019
    I've just recently started using the Arc Trainer at my gym... I typically use the treadmill and a kickboxing class for cardio but someone recommended the Arc Trainer.

Curious to know how you like it, any results you've had from it (leg shaping, weight loss, etc), but mostly would like to know how long you use it and the resistance setting you use.

Thanks much!

The results of the use of any piece of cardio equipment is going to be increased cardiovascular capacity and health. Whether you lose weight or not will depend on whether you have a calorie deficit or not. Cardiovascular exercise doesn't default to losing weight...if it did, people who exercise regularly would just wither away and die.

I use the arc trainer at the gym after my lifting sessions...typically only for about 15 minutes to finish off my workout. Most of my cardio is on my road or trail bike outdoors which can range anywhere from a quick 30 minute ride to a 3-4 hour afternoon jaunt. How long and what resistance is largely going to be up to what your current capacity is...fitness is something that is built over time.

In regards to "shaping"...if that is of interest to you, I would suggest resistance training, not more cardio. Cardio is going to have very little benefit in regards to overall body composition and shaping your body...that's not what it's for...cardio is for cardiovascular healthy and building up and strengthening the cardiovascular system.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    I use an arc trainer from time to time; not so much lately, but my ideal would be 3 times a week, for 35-40 minutes, with a resistance level of 25 to 35 and an incline of 8 or 9. For me it's more comfortable than an elliptical and just naturally better suited for my body mechanics.

I don't think it has much impact on shaping my legs; that's what heavily weighted squats, lunges and deadlifts are for.

It has been immensely helpful in increasing my cardio capacity, akin to running but without shin splints.
  • shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    Thank you for the replies.

I've added it in to the routine. I'm looking to lose and shape. I do weights 5-6 days a week. In short, I lost a lot of pounds, added in a mix of crossfit and weights to tighten some areas and then I really slowed down on losing the lbs. I've added the arc trainer to the end of my workouts most days and I'm losing again, so maybe I've finally found my balance!

French_Peas - thanks for the resistance levels... I think I may raise mine a bit.
  • kevinkehres7
    kevinkehres7 Posts: 13 Member
    I use the Arc trainer at the Y as my primary "machine". I use one of the programmed workouts for men. I have just gotten to the point in my progress that I'm going to have to "level up". I track my progress via a smartwatch app, so I can see workout to workout progress.
  • merkel843
    merkel843 Posts: 1 Member
    I use the Arc Trainer at PF 6 days a week for 55 to 60 minutes per session. It is my primary exercise. I started at level one and now am routinely on level 9 out of ten levels. The workout graphs that you can choose from make a huge difference in the intensity and difficulty of the exercise. I use it with my Polar h10 and the Polar program on my iphone to track heart rate zones as well as calories. I burn about 600 calories per sessioon and monitor my heart rate and intensity so that I get 10 minutes or so in the zone of 138 to 155 BPM per session. My leg strength and endurance has improved dramatically. My running and cycling have emproved now so there is less perceived effort in doing either of those activities. I am a fit 71 year old. The arc trainer can be an easy and passive way of exercising if that's all you want but it is a real piece of apparatus as you learn how to use it.